PDA

View Full Version : UR

herbertwest
August 31st, 2010, 02:28 AM
Hi, at the time of the publication on the kindle, i remember reading that a ptinted edition will be published at least after 6 months of publiaction, because that was ~the length of the exclusivity by amazon.

Any update on the printed edition?
Any way tht Cemetery Dance could be involved? Its a novella, like BLOCKADE BILLY...

August 31st, 2010, 09:30 AM
They came out with an audio version instead but I don't know what the current print edition plans are.

herbertwest
August 31st, 2010, 04:24 PM
thanks for the information
Does amazon still have the exclusive rights for the text?

September 1st, 2010, 08:56 AM
No, they do not.

herbertwest
September 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Anyway... for those that do not know, it IS POSSIBLE to read the story, without a Kindle.
Just need to install KINDLE FOR PC (via amazon.com) and to buy the story

gguthrie
September 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
I just thought I would pipe in and recommend the audio version. Listen to it in the car on the way to work. I thought it was done well and I was able to read (or listen) this story. And it was cheap.

IndigoRunner
September 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I bought it on iTunes. I got Track 1 which is 2:20 and Track 2 which 1:20. It seems Track 2 is the last 1:20 of the story. So iTunes doesn't have it together or something weird is going on inside of my computer....

Bubonic
November 11th, 2010, 05:41 PM
What is UR apart from some story exclusively released on Kindle?
What is it abbreviation for, what is the story about and how long is it?

fromTull
January 4th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Without spoiling . . . LISTEN to it or read it or consume it in SOME way. Really worth it. It feels like a nice little flourish to the Dark Tower stories. Multi-verses and . . . .LOW MEN IN YELLOW COATS!!! Get it.

randallFlaggfan1
January 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Good evening!

Does anyone know if UR is exclusive to the Kindle, or is it also available on the Nook?

CaptainBaccarat
January 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Good evening!

Does anyone know if UR is exclusive to the Kindle, or is it also available on the Nook?

I think maybe it's exclusive to Kindle. I don't have Nook, but I have the Kindle and Border's eBook app on my iPhone. UR does not appear on the Border's app. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong:smile2:

randallFlaggfan1
March 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Thank you, Captain! :biggrin2:

I've searched for UR on the Nook (a few times) and it never comes up, so I think you may be correct.

ArielRacing
May 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Is there any news about a possible publication on paper?

May 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Not that I know of.

Patricia A
May 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I listened to the ABook, great story, terrific reader. I recommend it.

randallFlaggfan1
May 25th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I REALLY wish I could find UR on the Nook..

dsurrett
May 25th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I found UR at my library on audiobook. I thought the whole thing was great until the last five minutes. The ending didn't seem King-like to me.

fljoe0
June 1st, 2011, 10:39 AM
I just read this last night. I liked this story very much. I am going to look on e-bay and see if I can find a pink kindle for sale. It was pretty cool to be reading a story about a kindle on my kindle.

randallFlaggfan1
June 1st, 2011, 02:31 PM
For those interested in UR, but are unable to read it, there's a free converting program available at

There's also the option of the Kindle on one's computer.

(AnniesGrrl- thank you very much for said information. You are AWESOME!)

randallFlaggfan1
June 2nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Oops..I'm not sure what happened with my last post.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

fljoe0
June 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
I downloaded that program and it works great. I had some books in the microsoft reader format that I converted to Kindle. You can even make your own book cover.

randallFlaggfan1
June 6th, 2011, 04:29 PM
That's great to hear, Fljoe, I'm glad.

Though we really should be thanking AnniesGrrl!

tracyd
June 6th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I am a little behind on the SK books, I know I am ashamed, but can someone give me a synopsis of UR?

June 7th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I am a little behind on the SK books, I know I am ashamed, but can someone give me a synopsis of UR?

You can find that here (http://www.stephenking.com/library/novella/ur.html).

tracyd
June 7th, 2011, 09:50 AM
You can find that here (http://www.stephenking.com/library/novella/ur.html).

Thanks Ms. Mod

carolina Queen
July 25th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Is it about ancient Ur ?

July 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Not really. Here's a synopsis of the plot:

Following a nasty break-up, lovelorn college English instructor Wesley Smith can't seem to get his ex-girlfriend's parting shot out of his head: "Why can't you just read off the computer like the rest of us?" Egged on by her question and piqued by a student's suggestion, Wesley places an order for Amazon.com's Kindle eReader. The [pink?] device that arrives in a box stamped with the smile logo – via one-day delivery that he hadn't requested – unlocks a literary world that even the most avid of book lovers could never imagine. But once the door is open, there are those things that one hopes we'll never read or live through.

carolina Queen
July 25th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah I have the same problem I like things on paper too . I've got that paper bug .
Days of vanity smolder like paper in fire /Ashes in the alley way ~ John Cougar Mellencamp
I am fans of both .

carolina Queen
July 25th, 2011, 11:16 AM
You can get Kindle for PCs fro free on the amazon .com web site I did a while back. you just have to know what to
look for http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=sa_menu_karl3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771#
H (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=sa_menu_karl3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771#)as to be Windows XP Service pack 2, Vista and Windows 2007 , it's also available for other devices .

carolina Queen
July 25th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Good evening!

Not yet on NOOK , but Mile 81 and Full Dark , No Stars is availabel on NOOk

fljoe0
July 25th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Here's a tip for anyone who downloads an app like kindle on their pc.

Get a trackball mouse (cordless works great). That way you can lean back in your chair as far away from the screen as you wish and use the trackball mouse in your lap to change pages and navigate. You are in a more comfortable position than sitting upright with your hand on a mouse that is stationary on your desk.

randallFlaggfan1
July 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM
That's assuming everyone's able to actually get some reading done at home..

kingricefan
August 7th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I just finished this story last night. I thought it was a good King story, told the only way that he can tell a story. I liked that it is another Dark Tower related tale! The Low Men were creepy but I think King didn't quite do them the justice that they deserve, could've been a little creepier, IMHO. Overall, another good story with fleshed out characters doing what they do best in a King Tale: try to make sense of an extraordinary situation. I don't like reading things on my pc (I downloaded the Kindle app) but it's the only way right now, besides the audio, to have this story. Also, Mile 81 is coming out soon so I figured it was time to move another rung up the technology ladder and try Kindle. :biggrin2:

randallFlaggfan1
August 8th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Also, Mile 81 is coming out soon so I figured it was time to move another rung up the technology ladder and try Kindle.

Sadly, this seems to be the direction the publishing industry is going..:down:

("All things serve the Beam")

OldDarth
December 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Lilja and I reviewed Ur in our latest podcast over at Lilja's Library. Really enjoyed this story. Especially the Dark Towers. Upon re-reading this story, it struck that in some ways this seemed like an early version of 11/22/63.

xkittyx
January 9th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Just finished this one today. Loved it. :love: Especially the whole DT connection and all. I would never have read it until it was collected in a real book (along with Mile 81, and many others I was missing, but I got a Kindle for Christmas, and then had the luck to win a $10 Amazon card in a book group, so I used it to get this one, Mile 81, Throttle, and Face in the Crowd). Very happy I finally had a chance to read these shorts. This one was fantastic though. I liked the hinting at 11/22/63 that was done, and seeing the alternate levels of the Tower through the newspapers... and of course who wouldn't like the amazing collection of never before seen books by all the authors? If I had a Ur book reader, and could access so many books like that... Unbelievable. It'd be great. I did think the Low Men were a little too... friendly(?) perhaps? I was thinking they were gonna come in there and raise hell, but they didn't seem too bad. All in all though, it was awesome, and made me grin :D

Phil Dark, No Stars
January 24th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I have never listened to an audiobook before, but as my S.K. withdrawals progress from a shaky sense of discomfort to slight foaming at the mouth, I came across UR at one of the few remaining bookstores in this country. "I will listen to this on the way to work," I told myself. Though the adhesive circles keeping the top and bottom flaps closed were not flush against the box, I decided to buy. On the drive home, I suggested to my fiance that I should upload it to iTunes and then return it. (I would never do something like that. That same sense of humor allowed me to scream "Hold on!" as we approached a yellow light from more than a block away or to sarcastically blame all of the world's problems on the United States government.)

I haven't fallen in line on the e-book trend yet (Though I did read the "Hunger Games" trilogy in .pdf format on my computer.) and was surprised at how much I enjoyed listening to UR read aloud. (I was disappointed that the voice of Uncle Steve was conspicuously absent from the recording, but I will simply demand that he read it to me if I run into him on the street.)

Two downsides: I often drift off mentally while I am reading: nursing an idea for a story of my own, wondering what Sophia Vergara is eating for dinner, etc, and when I return to my senses, I am not far from where I left off on the page. However, with the audiobook, after I drifted off and returned, it is not as easy to "rewind" as you can a book - especially since when I regained myself the car was in the oncoming traffic lane. The other downside: Holter Graham, an excellent speaker, creeped me out when he spoke in Wesley's ex-girlfriend's voice. It called up the image of a literate transvestite in my mind.

On an positive note about the audio version, every time I read this title in print, I read it "you are," assuming the novella would be instropective for its main character. It wasn't until I started listening to it that I realized it was pronounced "urrrr," the same as the noise coming from that thing under my bed. Creepy. It was also nice to have read (heard?) this after my last King novel 11/22/63, with the time-travel paradox themes.

At the end of the first disc, the audio garbled and started skipping. I tried to steel my patience and "listen through," but the problem worsened. I fished the discs back out of the box and noticed a large, greasy fingerprint on the underside of Disc 1. Someone had taken my terrible idea to heart, copied the CDs and returned them to the store! (No fears, I took an impression of the finger smudge with Scotch tape and sent it off to the FBI.) I cleaned the disc, re-uploaded and finished listening the same day I started. So much for a lasting King fix or a more enjoyable commute to work!

Whoa, I better get my eyes back on the road.

Walter Oobleck
March 16th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Lilja and I reviewed Ur in our latest podcast over at Lilja's Library. Really enjoyed this story. Especially the Dark Towers. Upon re-reading this story, it struck that in some ways this seemed like an early version of 11/22/63.

I read Ur after reading 11/22/63 and yes, there are elements in Ur that brought 11/22/63 to mind.
All of those...what if kind of things. A good read.
And for those w/o a Kindle, there's a post at #29...I think it was...that tells how one might read
this if you do not have a Kindle. If your Kindle is pink...I'll trade you a brass doorknob, a dead rat, and a knife handle for it...
or an Indian arrowhead...a pink one.

ArielRacing
August 22nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
Any news about a printed edition of this story?

August 22nd, 2013, 11:08 AM
Any news about a printed edition of this story?

Not at this time.