PDA

View Full Version : A few questions regarding Insomnia

moonbeam66
February 8th, 2013, 01:22 PM
First of all, I loved the book, and will do a reread ASAP, but I have so many books to read since I am a new King-fan. :blush: (Next is It and then the DT series.)

There are a few things I don't understand, and I have this internal need to have everything explained and figured out and wrapped up at the end of a book. Maybe I also missed a few things since I took about a week-long break during reading. I'm also reading the books in the original English version, and English is not my native language. Usually I do ok, but maybe I missed a few crucial points this time?? (But even though I haven't read IT and DT yet, I am familiar with the important characters, the plot and the connections between all three.)

My most pressing question is -why Ralph and Lois?? Why were THEY chosen for this "mission"? I'm thinking it was explained somewhere and I missed it or forgot it or failed to make a connection.

I had more, but I can't remember them at the moment. Will post them when they come back to me but maybe someone can help me with this one in the meantime!

Oh - I just thought of one other one. Is there an explanation offered anywhere as to WHY only a soul that has no designation (Random or Purpose) can affect one of the Great Ones (like Pat)?

And what is the "weapon" that Ralph uses against the Crimson King - whatever it is that comes out his scarred arm during the fight with the Crimson King?

And finally.... I really, totally, do not get the following lines from Dorrance:
"Clotho and Lachesis may have sent you to High Ridge for the wrong reasons, but the Purpose sent you there for the right ones."

I admit I am a little bit frustrated - there are some other things I don't fully get, like why were they not supposed to get near Ed and Atropos when there really WAS no other way to chance events, and what about Dor and the Green Aura Wino (11/22/63 anyone???) . Am I too dense? Do I need to read again? This book has left me with many loose ends and I don't like that. :(

GNTLGNT
February 11th, 2013, 06:30 AM
why Ralph and Lois??

1. their insomnia has been induced by the two little bald doctors to help them defeat agents of the Crimson King.

2. I thought-and could easily be wrong, that if the person were "undesignated"(like Ed)-they were a "wild card", not dealt to either the Random or Purpose-therefor open to being a weapon of chance.

3. My recollection is a bit fuzzy here, and I'm to frickin' lazy to pull the novel and look, but I think it was a version of "the White"(power of good)....

4. You should understand that one when you get through the DT series...

CCAL
February 11th, 2013, 08:11 AM
what I'm wondering is if Stephen will ever film the Insomnia related to the book instead of just allowing them use of the name.I mean it could be as good as or better than the Shining or the Stand...

SleepingWarrior
February 11th, 2013, 09:46 PM
As for your question about Dor's statement...

Lachesis and Clotho sent Ralph and Lois to High Ridge in order to keep them away from Ed and Atropos which was for the wrong reasons yet through that wrong action on their part it enabled Ralph and Lois to save whom they were drawn (in a sense) to protect. His importance could be implied by the certain field of roses surrounding this darkened tower and a man he had drawn.

moonbeam66
February 14th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Thank you folks. That was helpful. I'm currently reading IT and after that I'll start the DT series and after THAT, I'll give Insomnia a reread.

Maybe I should have done it the other way round.

not_nadine
February 14th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I did it the same way as you. Enjoy DT. You will. Just as so many have said, and I agree - the first book is tough. But do it. But then again we are all different, lots and lots loved The Gunslinger.

I really have to give that a re-read after the finish.

Jehan
February 14th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Thank you folks. That was helpful. I'm currently reading IT and after that I'll start the DT series and after THAT, I'll give Insomnia a reread.

Maybe I should have done it the other way round.

Do not be hard on yourself. I was confused when I first read Insomnia myself. Towers falling? Red roses? Dark Tower will help. Read the series, then go back to Insomnia. Do not look for strong,, strong links with the book "It" other than location. ps. your English is very good = used to teach as 2nd language

ZMeister
February 21st, 2013, 06:51 PM
@moonbeam66: Welcome to being a new SK fan! You have lots and lots to read!

There are a few things I don't understand, and I have this internal need to have everything explained and figured out and wrapped up at the end of a book.

I hope that you will learn early on that this isn't always going to be the case with Stephen King's books. As he states regarding From a Buick 8: "Sometimes things happen just because they do." Or similar words.

Stephen King's works have grown more complex and rich over time, and some are intertwined with other stories. I don't know whether it was intended from the beginning that way, or if it just happened that way. I suspect the latter.

Just relax and most of all: Have fun with it! ^__^

Rosemarie Alfano
July 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
i would love to see insomnia made into a movie ,it has the potential to be the greatest movie or mini series of his collection. i see them making it like the wizard of oz,in black and white.when ralph "goes up" everything should explode in color,so we actually can experience what ralph experiences.the potential is there,this is an incredible book and it can be an awesome movie.

MarGie
July 15th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I really enjoyed the Insomnia book. I found it more than Clever, unbelievably well written and beyond interesting. It also put me in lots of thoughts, if these kind of things do actually happen, and if some people really do have special senses and can understand things that other people cannot sense of. I will definetely read it once again, it was consuming. I recommend it to you all guys.

Chuggs
July 15th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I liked the book alright, but it not in my top ten. I found it a bit slow and plodding at times. I loved the connections in it though, and the characters. Glad you enjoyed it so.