PDA

View Full Version : Just Read Insomnia

Ellandrhia
August 14th, 2013, 10:52 AM
The feeling of loss as the last page turns, only ever happens with one of Mr. Kings books. Having just read Insonnia, a book I must have missed the first time round, there it was again. Missing Ralph and Lois who took me with them on an amazing journey and the people of Derry in all their guises. I'm not sure if this happens to others and maybe I need to get a life, who knows. All I can say is, that for me, Mr. King weaves magic in every story and to read his books is an experience to be relished.

Lily Sawyer
August 14th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I loved Ralph. I found the book very touching.

91rewoT
August 14th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I love this book and the characters. And yes, I feel exactly the same way when a great story ends, so I guess we both need to get a life!!;;D

Chuggs
August 14th, 2013, 05:49 PM
I liked Ralph as well. As usual for Sai King, he is a very good character. Liked the book, didn't love it.

blunthead
August 14th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I read Insomnia and Rose Madder right next too each other, if memory serves which it usually doesn't, and found them both exceptionally strange but very enjoyable stories, and good examples of just how unusual sK's imagination can really be.

kingricefan
August 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Yes, King has a way with creating characters that come to life and when the book ends it leaves a empty spot inside you. But, you can always go back and do a re-read, you'll get to spend some more time with those folks and probably pick up a couple or few new things that you missed the first time. Insomnia isn't one of my favorites (I just couldn't get over the fact that Ralph new modern music groups and songs) but it does tie into the dark Tower saga.

mjs9153
August 14th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Insomnia was right up there with the top five,for me,sk reads..and loved the ralph and lois characters.No,you don't need to get a life,enjoying good writing is absolutely fine,kid..Ralph's end,and Lois saying goodbye,well,that was very evocative of life in general for us all.. great characters,and a much underrated book of sk's,in my estimation..:smile2:

GNTLGNT
August 16th, 2013, 10:39 AM
...I didn't like the damn thing...kept me awake....*grumble, gripe, bit*h and moan*....

no bounce no play
August 16th, 2013, 10:57 AM
...I didn't like the damn thing...kept me awake....*grumble, gripe, bit*h and moan*....

:rofl: Silly GNTLGNT

Insomnia is my second most favorite SK novel. Ralph was a hero and a good guy, which isn't always the case in SK's main characters lol

do1you9love?
August 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM
One of my favorites as well. And each time I read it, I feel that same let down. Ralph is a great character!

blunthead
August 16th, 2013, 12:42 PM
...I didn't like the damn thing...kept me awake....*grumble, gripe, bit*h and moan*....You weren't supposed to take it literally. :facepalm:

doowopgirl
August 16th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I think you nailed it. Then a lot of us need a life. Also I've almost never came across a character called Lois.

mustangclaire
August 18th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Re-read this a while ago, absolutely loved it.

Chuggs
August 18th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Every time I see a short bald man with scissors, I run away as fast as I can and everybody looks at me like I'm crazy. -_- :razz::m_scream:

SharonC
August 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Insomnia is one of my favourites, I must say. I loved Ralph and Lois as characters. I was disappointed when it ended too! I always feel that way about books I enjoy.

Angelo Bottigliero
September 7th, 2013, 08:22 AM
It's the ongoing struggle of the reader: Wanting to turn each page as fast as you can to know how the story continues, but at the same time knowing each and every page you turn brings you one page closer to the end. You HAVE to know how it ends, and at the same time, don't want it to. We're schizo like that.

HollyGolightly
September 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Yes, yes - I always feel like I'm waving goodbye to friends who're leaving after a lovely visit. How does he do that?