PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia at a glance

dcflag
September 21st, 2013, 07:42 PM
I've read Insomnia twice. First when I was still in middle school at about aged 11. Needless to say I struggled with it badly, but I pushed myself to the end without really understanding much of it. The second time I read it, I struggled with it again and didn't really connect to the story. This has happened to me before, I first attempted to read IT around the same age and didn't complete it the first time. I have since read IT countless times and it remains a favourite of mine.

After reading the other threads in this section and seeing the praise other people have given this book I'm tempted to give it another shot. It is by far my least favourite SK book I've read but then perhaps that is an unfair title as in all honesty, I don't even really remember much about it. I'm hoping that it will help that I'm mid way through the DT series (and after the initial difficulty getting into The Gunslinger, am absolutely loving it) so hopefully I'll enjoy the story much more this time around, I find myself getting a little bit too excited when seeing links between books!

I guess my question to everyone here is this. What made this a must read book for you all? What is it about this book and these particular characters that really drew you into the story?

I'll be re-reading it regardless of your replies, I think it's time to give it another shot (especially as I've found I have two more days to fill before the release of Doctor Sleep) but I'd love to hear some opinions on this particular book. Sometimes having other peoples opinions can help me understand the stories better and make novels come much more alive for me (it certainly did wonders for me with the ending of Under The Dome, I was initially disappointed but have really come to love the book as a whole, ending and all once I managed to hear other peoples views on why the ending does actually really work). Look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Angelo Bottigliero
September 22nd, 2013, 03:37 AM
Other then the Dark Tower, this is my absolute favourite novel. Why? I don't know. It's a great story, beautifully told, but then again, most are.

FlakeNoir
September 22nd, 2013, 04:56 AM
The characters in this story are hugely rich. The biggest appeal for me with this book was Ralph's love for his wife and then the friendship (and new love) that arose between he and Lois--it was just beautiful.

no bounce no play
September 22nd, 2013, 06:27 AM
Insomnia is my favorite SK book. It was imaginative. It had a real hero. It had interesting villains. The story seemed to be well thought out... SK didn't just ramble on until the publisher told him give it some kind of ending. It was an adventure. Like Flake said, it was a wonderful love story about a couple people you couldn't help but to love. It has something for everyone! The only problem I had was trying to map it.

Dear Flake... Please edit out my sentence beginning with, "SK didn't" if you think it will get me in trouble lol.

no bounce no play
September 22nd, 2013, 06:32 AM
I forgot suspense... It had suspense :smile: What else am I forgetting?

FlakeNoir
September 22nd, 2013, 06:41 AM
I think you'll be fine, No Bounce... :biggrin2:

dcflag
September 22nd, 2013, 12:33 PM
It makes me wonder. I'm a HUUUUGE sucker for a love story, I'm not sure how I didn't warm to this book on first reading. It's most definitely on my list to re-read.

Am I right in thinking that it is quite closely linked to the DT? That in itself may have been what initially put me off. I'm not the biggest fan of fantasy type books, which is the reason why I've only this year started on the DT series and am being pleasantly surprised. It's quite likely that I struggled because I didn't really understand much of the ending, it probably didn't help that I was quite young really either.

mustangclaire
September 22nd, 2013, 01:23 PM
Re read myself a while back. Fantastic story, I just loved the characters in this. Made me cry. Again.

Ragan
September 22nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
I think it's that Ralph and Lois aren't your typical protagonists, and you really start to love them as you read the book. It's kind of a slow, strange book for the first half, though. I had a hard time getting into it, I tried a couple times before I finally sat down and read the whole thing in a couple of days. I don't consider it one of my favorites, but it's still a great book. And if you're midway through the tower, I think you're at a perfect place to read it.

FlakeNoir
September 22nd, 2013, 05:33 PM
It makes me wonder. I'm a HUUUUGE sucker for a love story, I'm not sure how I didn't warm to this book on first reading. It's most definitely on my list to re-read.

Am I right in thinking that it is quite closely linked to the DT? That in itself may have been what initially put me off. I'm not the biggest fan of fantasy type books, which is the reason why I've only this year started on the DT series and am being pleasantly surprised. It's quite likely that I struggled because I didn't really understand much of the ending, it probably didn't help that I was quite young really either.
That could definitely be part of it. I think you'll have quite a few "oh riiiiight' moments after reading the DT series. :smile:

91rewoT
September 22nd, 2013, 10:19 PM
I think it may be difficult for an 11-year-old to relate to the characters in this story. I hope you do give it another chance and that you enjoy it this time around. It really is one of my favorites...and the ending will make more sense to you after reading the DT stories.

GNTLGNT
September 23rd, 2013, 06:37 AM
...I've always liked the novel, probably because I grew up around older adults-and they helped mold(fungus?)the man I am...plus the lil Doc's are just damn cool...

do1you9love?
September 23rd, 2013, 08:17 AM
Insomnia has always been one of my all time favorites. I agree with others that being 11 probably didn't allow you to fully understand the depths of the older characters. Let us know how you feel after the re-read, or during even! ;-D

dcflag
September 23rd, 2013, 02:02 PM
I will do :D

Picking it up from mum on Friday as I don't actually own a copy. I have a bad habit of only buying the books I absolutely love first then working backwards to my least favourites. I am looking forward to re-reading it again. Not sure when I'll get a copy of Doctor Sleep, I definitely can't afford it tomorrow so it will be either Friday or if mum happens to buy it and lend it to me while she re-reads The Shining.

Looking back I remember finding the characters difficult specifically because of their age but I'm very ready to give in another go. Out of all the SK books it is the only one I've never got to grips with and it bothers me. Even if I read it and don't like it, I want to be able to at least appreciate it for the great story you lot are all telling me about.

Lily Sawyer
September 23rd, 2013, 02:07 PM
I loved Insomnia. The first time Ralph becomes aware of a "life string", the one over the stray dog, really got to me. He's a very likeable hero, with a gentle sense of humor and an acceptance of things he cannot change and the will to rectify what he can. He's the first hero who I can tell has really taken Desiderata to heart.