This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Connections to other books?

Red face Connections to other books?

I've read the Shining and as it's one of his early books I don't know but apprently there are references to Salem's lot? Does anyone know and could someone tell me anymore links it has with any other King book.

Default Re: Connections to other books?

I dunno about Salems Lot, but the cook, Dick Halloran, makes a brief appearance in It during the burning down of the Black Spot (was that the name of the club? Not sure...)

Like Jerusalem's lot, the overlook hotel had a bad history. The lot had Marsden, and the lots residents had quite a few dirty secrets, And the overlook had the bad history with all the gangster/mafia ownership and murders. The Point im trying to make is that the two books involve bad places with bad history/people attracting the supernatural. Thats just my opinion i guess.

I have yet to read The Shining. But it is on my Top 10 must reads this winter. Looking forward to it since a lot of people think it's SK most scary book. Looking forward to it.

While reading The Shining I noticed that Jack's dad had called him Jacky Boy, made me think of Travelin' Jack from Talisman.

I don't know anything about about Salem's Lot, I haven't read it, unfortunately. But as far as I remember, there was a brief mention of Overlook hotel in Misery. Although, I've read Misery quite a long time ago, but I suppose it was there that the hotel was referred to. Well, if someone has already mentioned it and I haven't noticed, then excuse me.

You are right Lina, and let me warn whoever didn't read Misery: Don't read it before The Shining, it has a HUGE spoiler from The Shining in it. And to the OP, the future books make this connection happens. For instance: Annie Wilkes from Misery talks about the Overlook Hotel, then years later, some character in Rose Madder is reading a Paul Sheldon book (he's a character from Misery), the book makes a brief comment about a character named Susan Day who appears in Insomnia, that is obviously linked to IT, and Dreamcatcher, and mostly of the others books, and of course with The Dark Tower, in which Father Donald Callaham, a character from 'Salem's Lot appears. So, there is your connection between Salem's and Shining.

Yup, the cook in The Shining might be the same cook seen in IT, at the Black Spot bar, which got burned down.

The "REDRUM" word also appears in a fighting fantasy gamebook by Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone, titled "House of Hell", where the main character gets trapped inside after a car accident in an old rickety haunted house ruled by Lord Kelnor, the Count. In the cellar, there'z a secret door with can be opened with the password "MURDER". Normally this wouldn't be a reference. However, during the gamebook, the main character needs to talk with a hunchback named Shekou, and give him brandy to ask him about passwords. Shekou tells that the password openin' the secret door in the cellar is something like the house's name, but the letters are all shuffled. And the house is called "Drumer". This just screams for a linking to The Shining.

ALL of Sk's books are somehow related to one another-hence the book "The Stephen King Universe"...these connections are sometimes blatantly in your face-other are much more subtle, but they are always a blast to look for...

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

I wondered alot about the incident that happened to Jack & Al, when they had been out drinking all night & were driving home & ran over the bike that was in the middle of the road. They never found a body but what was the bike doing in the middle of the road? It made me think of something that I had read in The Long Walk, when Garraty was remembering about Freaky's death, being hit & killed while riding his bike on the highway. I wondered if the two incidences were related? I don't know, probably not, but I always wondered, whose bike was it that Al ran over & why was it in the middle of the road, deserted?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast