This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a FABULOUS book!

Default What a FABULOUS book!

I just finished reading Hearts in Atlantis and I LOVED it! I couldn't put it down. I am usually not a Stephen King fan because I assumed he wrote only horror stories (which I am not a fan of at all...still having nightmares from Pet Cemetary 20 years later). Now I know better.
    Can anyone recommend other books that King has written that are on the same wavelength as this book?

Thanks Mr. King for a great read!

Default Re: What a FABULOUS book!

You might try The Green Mile.

I'm enjoying Duma Key right now. So far, no horror of the kids and cats gone wacky at all.

Also you might try Duma Key. It only has one really terrifying part(or that was for me terrifying). I too was terrified by Pet Sematary and didn't read another King book for many years. The Green Mile was great too. I can't wait to see the movie about Duma Key. His books make such good movies. It really scared me away from canals and plumbing....but I'm back.

Sorry to go against the flow, but I don't like Duma Key much (Sorry Mr. King, I've heard it's your for-now favorite ).

I'd recommend Different Seasons (zero horror), The Talisman (kind of a fantasy story), The Dark Tower series (no horror - just a lot of adventures, and deals with some topic you'll recognize from Hearts in Atlantis) and Eye of the Dragon (dark fairytale style story that is even fit for young children).

Enjoy!

PS
    Are you sure you won't be tempted to try a little bit of horror? Some ghost? Vampires? A murderous clown? Please....

How can you not like Horror?
    Oh well it's really none of my business.
    Try The green Mile. It's a great book and not at all scary at all, when i first read it I really couldn't believe that it was a Stephen king book. I had to keep looking at the cover just to make sure. But it's the perfect book for anyone and everyone. I actually cried my eyes out reading it. (But I'm easy to make cry.)

And if you are willing to do with a little bit of horror try Misery. I myself have read it over and over again at least a 100 times since the fifth grade, and that was 5 years ago. It's wonderful and really gets your heart pounding.

Cujo is also a book that has no supernatural horror in it--just good old-fashioned scares!

John

In my anticipation for Under The Dome to arrive, I've started reading Hearts In Atlantis. I'm not sure how well I will like it but I'm usually a big fan of non-horror SK. Kinda hard to resist a SK first-edition hardcover I've never read before.

Geralds Game, Rose Madder, Misery, Different Seasons ( as already mentioned), Cujo...and Under The Dome.
    Lots of horror in that one, but horror manifested by people...

Quote Originally Posted by Debraellen View Post
    I just finished reading Hearts in Atlantis and I LOVED it! I couldn't put it down. I am usually not a Stephen King fan because I assumed he wrote only horror stories (which I am not a fan of at all...still having nightmares from Pet Cemetary 20 years later). Now I know better.
    Can anyone recommend other books that King has written that are on the same wavelength as this book?

Thanks Mr. King for a great read!
    I would very much recommend Different Seasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast