This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: the movie as a major dissapointment

Default the movie as a major dissapointment

So I loved the book. I was so mad when

Beaver died
    I actually shouted out; "NO!" and slammed my hand on the book. I was that moved.
    The intricacies of the Dream Catcher being the minds of the boys was well done. I felt a little more explanation could've been given, but I got the idea. The chase scene is monumental in the book and ends on a sad note. In the movie, you get a campy twisted, straight-from-left-field version that left me wanting to tear into the movie screen. Also, right when the helicopters take off to give chase, I felt like a new director had taken over and the movie switches tones almost entirely. I know of no one who thought the movie was good. Which IS a shame because I felt like the 1st 45 minutes of the film were perfect! Right down to the cabin and how it looked on the inside! I kid you not; it looked almost exactly what I had pictured when I read the words on the page.
    I think, given money and time, take that 1st 45 minutes and redo the 2nd half of the movie. It could be done.

Default Re: the movie as a major dissapointment

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicAgeEthan View Post
    So I loved the book. I was so mad when

Beaver died
    I actually shouted out; "NO!" and slammed my hand on the book. I was that moved.
    The intricacies of the Dream Catcher being the minds of the boys was well done. I felt a little more explanation could've been given, but I got the idea. The chase scene is monumental in the book and ends on a sad note. In the movie, you get a campy twisted, straight-from-left-field version that left me wanting to tear into the movie screen. Also, right when the helicopters take off to give chase, I felt like a new director had taken over and the movie switches tones almost entirely. I know of no one who thought the movie was good. Which IS a shame because I felt like the 1st 45 minutes of the film were perfect! Right down to the cabin and how it looked on the inside! I kid you not; it looked almost exactly what I had pictured when I read the words on the page.
    I think, given money and time, take that 1st 45 minutes and redo the 2nd half of the movie. It could be done.
    I agree with you 100%! The book was the most amazing book id ever read at the time I read it! But the movie was the most disappointing movie id ever seen! It's strange to me how they could turn such an unbelievable book in to an awful movie!

You are so right about the cabin! The nasty bathroom scene was just how I pictured it to.

I don't understand the hate. I know a lot of bits were left out - that is part of being a movie, but overall I thought is was awesome. Would have been better as an R Rated miniseries.

But the poop monster - it was actually worse than I imagined in the movie. That was inspired. They caught that whole scene in the toilet just so SPOT ON to the book.

I have to agree. I really didnt like the movie all that much. I do love the movies they make of kings movies. The problem I have is that they can never get a fine a point on how he discribes things and does things in his book. Maybe someday they will be able to make one of his movies word for word turn the page good like they did with green mile. This one to me though fell real short of the book.

I haven't seen the movie, but the book is my least favorite Stephen King novel. I like to pretend I really liked it, but I know I'm lying to myself. Lol. Curious to see the movie -- I heard it has a different ending.

I completely agree! Dreamcatcher was the second SK book I read and loved it! After I finished reading it I wanted to see the movie badly so rented it and was extremely disappointed.

My thoughts:
    Casting of the Movie. I loved the main cast (esp Damien Lewis) except for Freeman. I like Freeman but he was the wrong one for the role. When I was reading the book I was picturing someone like Donald Southerland (but that would be too close to his role in Outbreak).
    The 1st half was good but the end detoured too far from the book for me. I hate it because as I said the rest of the cast was great.

Finished the book two days ago. Finally I understand - the movie failed in that respect. And I was very disappointed with the (movie) ending - the alternate version on the DVD was better I thought.

Initially, as I was reading the book, I thought the movie was a good adaption but as time went by I felt that it had diverged considerably. Having said that, I don't really know how you'd turn the book into a movie without major changes to it. So much of the book is cerebral - unlike most horror books (monster attacks woman and eats her etc) this was almost a web of intrigue that would always live better (imho) as a book than a movie.