This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. King is Riding on his name.

Default Mr. King is Riding on his name.

I can't believe a writer can actually sell a short story as a novella for $7.00. Mr. King is riding on his name and the Constant Reader is being taken advantage of. Just After Sunset opens with a story he claims not to be the best in the book, I haven't read a good short in Sunset. The last feew chapters of Under the Dome were excellent, though I was dissappointed in the work as a whole. I've read every thing he has written. I no longer look forward to his works but I'll still give him my money. I've been a fan of his my entire life but I feel I'm being taken advantage of.

Default Re: Mr. King is Riding on his name.

Welcome to the SKMB. A writer writes, and a reader reads. It is a personal choice as to what one likes or dislikes about a book. If you no longer look forward to his works please note that you do not need to purchase his books in order to read them. May I suggest using the library, that way you may no longer feel that you are being taken advantage of.

I don"t believe King is riding on his name. $7-$50 ain't going to make or break him. I enjoyed Blockade Billy.If you no longer look forward to his works why spend your money? I certainly wouldn"t. Most of kings fans been fans for years.

well, there is another take on it. for what it's worth, if it's even true. who's to say. but i was reading crossing to safety, wallace stegner, pretty good story, if you're interested...if you happen to read this. but there was a character in that one, published, taken to task by two other characters, professor-types, although they struggled too...they said why'd he publish this thing that sold well.

he said that had he not, he wouldn't have been able to publish 6 titles that they all agreed upon.

so...who knows...maybe one day no books will get published and then where will we be?

So, you've been an sK fan for some time. What are some of your favorites? I didn't become a fan til 2006. I haven't been disappointed by anything, and I've covered much territory, so far. But, his books vary in style. I wonder whether you prefer the style of his earlier stuff, while not yet having developed a taste for anything else. Maybe you're simply biased? Anyway, to think sK's riding on his name--that's just not true. He doesn't have to, and I believe he wouldn't know how to. It would mean that he was no longer capable. He'd just retire.

And, it's illogical to believe that sK could conceive of ripping his CRs off. If the novella to which you refer is too expensive, it weren't him.

The most interesting part of your post though, is that, while aware of being taken advantage of, you intend to give him money anyway. This statement is the reason I started off acknowledging your fan-ship.

I say stay here, on the board, read, ask questions. You may end up being encouraged. It can help. It can't hurt.

Why on earth would anybody buy a book they had already convinced themeselves they weren't going to like?

I used to like reading Dean Koonz books when I was younger... then I found them to be a bit on the boring side and a bit repetitive so I stopped buying them.
    I respect your post regarding your views but really do not understand why you continue to buy the books if you are disheartened with them.
    I am with Spidey, why not just go to the library?

Personally, I loved JAS and was pleasantly surprised with Blockade Billy - really glad I made the purchase which cost quite a bit more as it wasnt released over here (that I have seen)

I really dont think Mr King is taking advantage of his readers - I am sure he made enough money long ago that money is no longer an issue. I am sure he writes because he loves it and because he knows we love reading his work.

Maybe you should be more upset at whomever held the gun to your head and made you read it even though you didn't like it. Wait, no one did? Hmm, well then you should only be mad at yourself.
    Not everyone wil like every book. If you don't simply put it down and read something else. I would guess you will never run out of options.
    Long days, pleasant nights.

Note to self-bitter & whiny does not a true Constant Reader make...

I don't worship at a SK altar...but NO author can please us all when he or she sets fingers to keyboard...as others suggest, use the library or the net-and if you're that dis-illusioned...Walk Away!

Quote Originally Posted by pensandpad View Post
    I no longer look forward to his works but I'll still give him my money.
    Welcome to the board, pensandpad. It's normal to compare an author's work to earlier works and when that author changes direction, he doesn't always take all his readers along with him. But I don't understand why you feel compelled to continue to spend money on something you don't like? Are you hoping he'll change, maybe? Or are you just trying to be a completist and not miss any books? Those would be valid reasons, I suppose, but in reading your message, it seems you just don't like SK any more. That's okay, but he's not forcing you to buy. So what is?

I used to buy Anne Rice books but after reading the 4th or 5th one I bailed. Same with lots of other authors. Why spend money on something you don't like?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast