This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Koontz my Butt.

Default Koontz my Butt.

Recently I was discussing books with a friend and I told him I owned every Stephen King book written, to my knowledge, and he suggested that I read Dean Koontz. I did. I enjoyed my first selection, "Watchers", so I downloaded another couple to my Kindle and read away. I have read many comments on Koontz books and they constantly compare them to Stephen King. Either they have never read a King novel or they are idiots. Koontz is a poor gruel to waste time till Stephen King publishes again. Dean Koontz my Butt. Tabascofred

Default Re: Koontz my Butt.

Watchers was the first Dean Koontz book I read too and I thought it was outstanding...Lightening was a great book too...After about 10 DK books though, he started getting old and I never really picked him up again until the Frankenstein and Odd Thomas series...Odd Thomas made me see why I quit reading him in the first place

I read one DK book about a decade ago. I forget the title but it ivolved corporate techie espionage as I recall. I liked it pretty well as far as readability goes; it was a real page-turner. It didn't do much to spark my imagination or make me think about anything in a new way though. That is what I get from SK books all the time. Not to bash Mr. Koontz, it's just lighter fare, like a salad next to a steak.

In general I agree. There is one Koontz book that is actually worth your time. Its called Lightning, also Dark Rivers of the Heart is a pretty good read. I find the problem with Koontz is that his characters are very flat. They are either completely good or totally bad. So thats just boring. Try those two and let me know what you think

So how would one Koontz a butt? Is it a version of sloppy foreplay? A hurried rush to the cheeks with no buildup, followed by a predictable and formulaic squeeze?

Or is it something else all together, like those fake butt cheeks? You think there is a butt in there, but it's all padding? Cuz just because there is a spine on some paper don't make it a book.

I came here thinking I was going to learn something new and kinky.

I read one maybe two Koontz books. Basically, SK x-tra light, zero calories, zero caffiene, zero carbs, zero...

I have not tried Koontz people have reccomended it to me. But the time I do get for reading .I stick to sk .I just am really set in my way. I do read books by others but they also have to do with Sk .His life,abook by one of his sons or his wife.

I enjoy Koontz books. I loved By the Light of the Moon it was a very touching story, The Taking was gruesome and The Servants of Twilight was down right scary. I agree that they are not in depth novels but they are good just the same. I find that I turn to Dean Koontz and John Saul while I am waiting for the next King novel to come out.

Well, gee-what a suprise...here I am being the dissenter amongst you...I happen to enjoy DK, he is second in my pantheon of favorite writers-right behind SK... I agree that he doesn't compel me like King does-but I happen to appreciate his off-beat humor(shocker there!), his love of animals-and yeah, his long winded but hopeful messages of love and hope that are at the heart of all his novels. Some of them are repetitive in nature, but I will abide by my opinion and respect all of yours-however I don't appreciate the implied hatchet job of the original post. SK is not for everyone either-so just because you don't care for Koontz-don't come in my house and dis him...

I'll go against the grain here.

I really enjoy Dean's work. Dark Rivers Of The Heart, Intensity, Strangers, The Taking, False Memory, Ice Bound, Sole Survivor... all great books I consider worthy of multiple reads and subsequent placement on the mantel with the great works of others. Sure he's written some duds, but Stephen has as well. They each have their strengths; Stephen seems to shine with characters and sub-themes, where Dean is great with pacing and storylines.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast