This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Wizard and Glass

Default Thoughts on Wizard and Glass

The first time I was reading through The Dark Tower series, I was bored with Wizard and Glass. I wanted to get back to the story of Roland's second Ka-tet, so I sped trough the flashbacks, not really taking them in.

I am now re-reading the series, knowing everything that will happen, and I have a deep appreciation for Wizard and Glass now. The love story is handled wonderfully, and the characters are great, something I sorta just skipped over while reading it the first time.

I feel sorry for fans like me that sped through this great tale of romance, not really reading into the nuances. Anybody else feel the same as me?

Default Re: Thoughts on Wizard and Glass

Yep, I did the same thing. The second read I slowed down and really focused on the story. I zipped through all of them the first time, too anxious to find out what happened, and I missed so much. The second read of the whole series was wonderful Can't believe how much I missed the first time.

I know what you're saying. Wizard and Glass is my favorite book in the series. It was interesting to read Uncle Steve's author note where he said that he was in essence intimidated by writing about "romantic love." His explanation of how he overcame that is fascinating - to include Rocket J. Squirrel. LOL. I recommend going back and reading that at the end of the book if you haven't already. I think he did a masterful job with W&G.

In larger terms, you speak true about re-reads of the Dark Tower series. There are many details missed during the first reading. I'm on my third reading and am still finding new things I missed in the previous two. I'd be willing to bet others who have read it a sixth or seventh time would attest to the same discovery.

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't give any of Uncle Stevies books a careful objective read...they're missing out on what I truly believe to be one of our national treasures...(Yeah, yeah, yeah-so I sound like a salivating fanboy-but I've been around this block for many years, and it's truly how I feel)

Well, I've just finished this one and the love story parts bored me. Like you - I wanted to get into the adventures of the ka-tet. This book was a real chore to get through for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
    Well, I've just finished this one and the love story parts bored me. Like you - I wanted to get into the adventures of the ka-tet. This book was a real chore to get through for me.
    Am sorry to hear that the love story bored you. It is an integral part of Roland's life. That love story affects his later life and journey in many ways. It is part of the adventures of the Ka-Tet, as they needed to have this additional undertsanding of the Roland. Someday I hope you will re read this book with a different viewpoint.

I may not remember correctly, but I believe I was disappointed with Wizard and Glass the first time around primarily because I had waited so long to find out what happened next, only to discover that the book did not contain anything that happened next. Of course, after having read the entire series, everything became more clear, and I understood that Wizard and Glass is the lynchpin on which the entire saga turns, and everything after it pales woefully by comparison.

Of course, that's only one man's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    Someday I hope you will re read this book.
    I don't re-read books. When I've read every possible book that exists on the planet, then I'll consider re-reading something. I'll wait for the movie/tv show instead.

Oh ChickenStu! There are so many books out there that deserve a second reading. There is no way anyone can get every nuance of some books in one reading. It's like trying to eat every new chocolate dessert ever made and never having the same one twice. M&M's taste good every time you eat them, some books are good every time you read them. Bad analogy maybe, but you get the idea. Slow down, enjoy, savor them, you'll never read them all...

I can't really put my finger on what it is that I found so endearing about W&G but it is probably my favorite of the series. It could be that it came right after my least favorite DT volume and I feared the next four books would follow suit. Part of it, I think, is the fact that Roland reflects on this period in his life so often during the rest of the series that you need this backround info to help feel for Roland sympathetically. It's hard to feel his pain about friends and love lost unless the reader has some emotional bond to these characters as well, which this book doles out in spades. Aside from Roland, Cuthbert became my favorite character in the entire series, and I began to miss him as part of the story even while reading of his youthful adventures. Maybe it is this tragic aspect that drew me in, knowing that every protagonist save one will be long dead in the next installment. So I savored every page I was fortunate enough to spend with my new, and,soon to be long gone friends.

I am just starting my second read through DT and am just about done with Vol. 1. I am already dreading the arduous trek through The Wastelands (literally and figuratively) because I know I will be itching to get to W&G again.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast