Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Re-Casting The Stand

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-Casting The Stand

Post Re-Casting The Stand

It seems that there are a number of people on this board with dissenting opinions regarding the original made for television version of The Stand.

It would seem that while some people absolutely hated it and others think it is wonderful, most of us are somewhere in between and find that it had many good qualities, but overall left us wanting more.

As someone who just recently read The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition and then promptly plowed through the graphic novel and the miniseries, I can't help but feel let down with the miniseries.

The casting didn't do it for me and the poor production values coupled with the early-90s look and feel of the movie just don't hold up over time. The entire thing is harder to watch (visually and in regards to some of the individual performances) than an average television drama.

If nothing else, a rebooted miniseries would great. Personally, I stick to the claim that if they're not going to do a multi-movie type thing (ie: Lord or the Rings, Harry Potter, etc...) they'd be best getting someone like HBO to cast a full season (20+ episodes) with a dynamite crew and big-time production values.

Odds are nothing will happen with The Stand for years, especially since The Dark Tower appears to be King's focus for the time being and is undoubtedly his hottest commodity.

That thought not withstanding, I thought it'd be fun to compare notes with y'all regarding a re-casting of The Stand.

Obviously we've got to assume there are some budget restraints so putting Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Angelina Jolie, etc...etc...in all the major roles is a bit of a stretch.

As such here's my quick thoughts on who I'd cast. I left out some characters, but hit most of the major ones (I think, lemme know if I missed one and I'll gladly remedy my error).

Most of my decisions were based on the following criteria:

1) Acting ability - I'll take talented actors over big-name actors any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

2) Do they look the part - Molly Ringwald looked NOTHING like the Fran Goldsmith the book portrayed and I've tried to remedy that by picking actors who remind me of the characters they'll be playing.

3) Budget/Reality - Like I said, I can't imagine a ton of big-time stars would sign on for a project of this magnitude, so I tried to keep it pretty realistic in that regard.

With no further ado...here is my re-casting of The Stand, I can't wait to read all of yours.

BOULDER
    Stu Redman: Sam Rockwell
    Frannie Goldsmith: Evan Rachel Wood
    Nick Andros: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
    Tom Cullen: Ethan Suplee
    Larry Underwood: Joshua Jackson
    Mother Abigail: Alfre Woodard
    Lucy Swan: Madeline Zima
    Judge Farris: Robert Duvall
    Glen Bateman: Dennis Quad
    Ralph Branter: Jeff Bridges
    Dayna Jurgens: Shawnee Smith
    Susan Stern: Zooey Deschanel

LAS VEGAS
    Randall Flagg: Timothy Olyphant
    Lloyd Henreid: Will Patton
    Harold Lauder: Paul Dano
    Nadine Cross: Rebecca Gayheart
    Trashcan Man: Jackie Earle Haley
    Julie Lawry: AnnaLynne McCord

PROJECT BLUE
    General Starkey: Chris Cooper
    Charles Campion: Clancy Brown

Default Re: Re-Casting The Stand

One of your recommendations really stuck out to me. Will Patton would be the PERFECT Lloyd!

Joseph Gordon Levvit not a big namer? wow that stung a little, HOWEVER I'm glad that you put him in that role. Fantastic up and coming actor (I say up and ciming, but he has been around for ages)

The cast all in all looks great! I can't really comment any further as I'm yet to read the novel but I will evry soon

Who would you get to direct and produce it? and also write the screenplay?

ANYBODY would be fine as long as they keep Molly Ringwald a continent away from the set...

Quote Originally Posted by Seb "Misery knight" Shaw View Post
    Joseph Gordon Levvit not a big namer?
    I think JG-L is definitely one of the Hollywood's brightest young stars--it's the major reason I cast him in such an important role, one that I think he would be FABULOUS in--but he isn't on the same top-tier in terms of pay or notoriety (yet) as a lot of other stars.

It is weird that he's been around forever and still seems like a fresh face. I think he's got a wonderful career ahead of him (and behind him too). Here's hoping that whenever some eccentric billionaire reads The Stand and decides the movie needs to be made immediately with their private funding, they'll look his way...

In regards to directing and producing and writing, that's a tough one.

I'd really want King to be involved in the screenplay again, to try and keep it as true to the original material as possible. I'd say that the cats behind the AMC adaptation of The Walking Dead seem to have done a great job showing the isolation and whatnot of a barren world. Perhaps they could get in on the mix.

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah Graves View Post
    I think JG-L is definitely one of the Hollywood's brightest young stars--it's the major reason I cast him in such an important role, one that I think he would be FABULOUS in--but he isn't on the same top-tier in terms of pay or notoriety (yet) as a lot of other stars.

It is weird that he's been around forever and still seems like a fresh face. I think he's got a wonderful career ahead of him (and behind him too). Here's hoping that whenever some eccentric billionaire reads The Stand and decides the movie needs to be made immediately with their private funding, they'll look his way...

In regards to directing and producing and writing, that's a tough one.

I'd really want King to be involved in the screenplay again, to try and keep it as true to the original material as possible. I'd say that the cats behind the AMC adaptation of The Walking Dead seem to have done a great job showing the isolation and whatnot of a barren world. Perhaps they could get in on the mix.

Thanks for the reply!
    I agree totaly with this

I have had som ehtough and came up with a possible director.. Frankie Boyle (28 Days and Weeks later, Slumdog Millionaire etc) He has a keen eye for detail, and for the simple fact that he closed of a section of london of his great 28 Days later film

I agree with the screenplay idea too

I am not really sure who Joshua Jackson is but I think he might be the dork from that TV show that was popular when I was a late teen or in my early 20's called Dawsons Creek.

Please dont put someone like that in the role of my all time favorite SK character.

That's Danny Boyle, Seb. But he would be a good choice. (Also did Trainspotting and Shallow Grave).

Wow - nice work with the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by CorbinKale View Post
    One of your recommendations really stuck out to me. Will Patton would be the PERFECT Lloyd!
    And Ethan Suplee as Tom Cullen.
    Ethan really is super=perfect for that part.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast