This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Powder Mile"

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

Default "The Powder Mile"

Just wondering if anyone has noticed the striking similarities that overlap the 1995 movie "Powder" and King's "The Green Mile."

"Powder" just started recycling on one of Showtime's lesser cable TV iterations, and I hadn't seen it since it was released for rent on VHS...but I saw it recently (and again in a few minutes) and thought KAPOW!

VERY similar themes, and even scenes.

I'd be interested in the relevant timelines.

Default Re: "The Powder Mile"

Have never seen that one myself and don't know if Steve has either to know whether it was an influence. The first chapter of The Green Mile was published in March, 1996 but in the Foreword which Steve wrote in October of 1995, he mentions having had the idea for the book at least twenty or thirty years earlier and had tried it a number of times but never completed it. It still wasn't completed before he finished the publication of the sixth part.

No, I'm still stuck on the similarities between the Geico gecko and my 8th grade science teacher....

I wasn't insinuating anything. I just thought some of the deeper similarities were interesting. Maybe "Green Mile" fans might enjoy the other flick.

That's all.

I thought I was answering your comment about being interested in the relevant timelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I thought I was answering your comment about being interested in the relevant timelines.
    Yar, you did.

I was just offering up a PSA about a good movie to which King fans might relate and enjoy. My 66 year old Mother watched the whole thing, enjoyed it, and kept saying afterwards "that was very strange but interesting." This is the woman that I can't get to read "Tuesdays With Morrie."

The movie "Powder" apparently tanked in the box office/Hollywood, as the writer~director guy was a convicted pedophile--and since Disney released it, there was a bit of controversy...

Been a long time since I've watched "Powder" but I plan to watch it again so I can compare the two. Then if there IS something to be insinuated I may just come back and do so. After all, anyone can claim to have had an "idea" twenty years before they put something into production. Maybe King did see it and was subliminally influenced. Or maybe there really are no fully original stories left to write. Either way, I didn't take your query as an insult to King, merely inquisitive since you have found similarities in BOTH movies/stories. Nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of similar themes has anybody else noticed "UTD" is kinda like "The Simpsons Movie"??

Hi,

And Dark Tower bears some similarities to Homer's Odyssey
    (as does ALL Western literature IMO).

Long days and pleasant nights

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    No, I'm still stuck on the similarities between the Geico gecko and my 8th grade science teacher....

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Yeah okay, loose, but I can see some definite parallels, especially the pain of being "special" & different, and the ubiquitous antagonism that always comes with the fear people have of such a person...Frankenstein's monster would have certainly understood...gee whiz, I mean personally, I think he just needed a good pal.

I'm not sure, but I think it may have actually been the actor, playing the part of Powder, that had some kind of pedophilia charge hanging over him.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast