This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Pennywise in Full Dark, No Stars?

Default Is Pennywise in Full Dark, No Stars?

My question is about the book Full Dark, No Stars. In the story A Fair Extension Stephen King alludes to the fact the dealer Elvid may be Pennywise the clown from IT. If King killed him off, how is he appearing in Derry in 2010? And an even better question does Stephen King have plans to do anything else? A sequel perhaps? Remember Pennywise goes into hibernation for 27-28 years, if you do the math he's scheduled to wake up in 2014...Is IT Back?

Joseph DeMarco

Default Re: Is Pennywise in Full Dark, No Stars?

Steve doesn't have any plans to do a sequel involving Pennywise. As he put it, he's done with clowns.
    I'd have to go back to double-check, but I think you may be reading more into a Pennywise connection to Fair Extension/Elvid than was intended.

I kinda got that feel too....and if not IT, something very similar. What ever the intent...very COOL sai King!!! For me was the best story in the book.

I never got the "Killer Klown" vibe from Elvid, Derry or no Derry...to me, he was just a great re-interpretation of the Devil and bargains made with same...

he felt more like the Leeland Gaunt of Needful things to me

I don't think I am reading into anything, if you read carefully, you will see what I mean

#1 The story A Fair Extension takes place in Derry (There is even a reference to the Barrens)
    #2 Several times in the story Stephen mentions how Elvid mouth has too many teeth or his teeth become sharp
    #3 Elvid seems to change shape and grow much like Pennywise
    #4 Elvid also has that power like Pennywise to change reality like how there was plenty of traffic but none of it seemed to be going down the road
    #5 And perhaps the most revealing is Stephen King describes Elvid (he looked like a clown with no make-up)

You make good points. I'll ask Steve but based on what I've heard him say, I believe it was his intention that this character was the devil (in spite of the character's protestations to the contrary,) not Pennywise.

Elvid is an anagram for devil. Steve mentioned that usually the kicker in a story about a deal with the devil is that people don't get away with it, there's always some twist at the end where the devil didn't really come through on the promise, and he wanted to do a story in which the person did.

Thanks, Ms. Mod! It was a great story, I finished it last night. It was chilling, wasn't it, how pleased Streeter was by the tragedies that struck his "friend's" family. No remorse at all. It reminded me of "Rosemary's Baby."

I know!

I have to agree with Steve that most of us would have to admit to feeling (even if just fleetingly) satisfied on occasion about someone else's misfortune but then feel guilty about it. Kept thinking, wait for it, it's going to come and my mouth may have literally dropped when I got to the end and it wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    You make good points. I'll ask Steve but based on what I've heard him say, I believe it was his intention that this character was the devil (in spite of the character's protestations to the contrary,) not Pennywise.

Elvid is an anagram for devil. Steve mentioned that usually the kicker in a story about a deal with the devil is that people don't get away with it, there's always some twist at the end where the devil didn't really come through on the promise, and he wanted to do a story in which the person did.
    That was exactly my impression Marsha. I saw right away that the name thing. I thought that story was darkly hilarious! I kept expecting

the main character to feel remorse and beg the devil to go stop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast