Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Kubrick vs. the mini-series

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kubrick vs. the mini-series

Default Kubrick vs. the mini-series

Kubrick's version of The Shining was fantastic. It was a work of art, but IMO, it was not SK's The Shining. It was more like an interpretation on it. SK's Shining was so much more in depth and so much better. Kubrick glossed over much that made the story great in the name of a shorter film. I love the mini-series because it really stays true to the original story. That said, Steven Weber was great, but he couldn't top Nicholson. I liked Rebecca DeMornay much better than Shelley Duvall. I felt Wendy was too weak and helpless in Kubrick's version, and Duvall just got on my nerves after awhile.

Default Re: Kubrick vs. the mini-series

Quote Originally Posted by dmeier1231 View Post
    Kubrick's version of The Shining was fantastic. It was a work of art, but IMO, it was not SK's The Shining. It was more like an interpretation on it. SK's Shining was so much more in depth and so much better. Kubrick glossed over much that made the story great in the name of a shorter film. I love the mini-series because it really stays true to the original story. That said, Steven Weber was great, but he couldn't top Nicholson. I liked Rebecca DeMornay much better than Shelley Duvall. I felt Wendy was too weak and helpless in Kubrick's version, and Duvall just got on my nerves after awhile.
    You have officially articulated my feelings on this argument. Perhaps better than I could have myself.

What she said...

Nobody can compete with King. I always like the orginals better.Some remakes are good but I always try to remember where they orginated from.Just my thought.

King's version of Shining was much better than Kubricks version. But Kubrick's version was not so bad. I've seen it many times.

I have to disagree with everyone that likes the mini series version of The Shining over Kubriks version. Please understand that I am a major SK fan. Have been since Carrie. But, I feel that the TV version was pallid and uninteresting. It felt decidedly flat IMO. Kubriks version was a work of art that kept the atmosphere just right.Again IMO. So go ahead and lynch me. I stand by my opinion.

Doowopgirl,

Everyone is entitled to their own likes and opinions. There will be no lynching today. I understand and agree with what you mean by the atmosphere of Kubrick's version, as it just feels creepy a great deal of the time. My major issue is the story itself. Kubrick glossed over or cut out major parts of the story that were crucial in understanding the hotel and what was happening to Jack, Wendy, and Danny. Jack's spiral into madness is so much more subtle and slow in the book, whereas Kubrick makes it happen so quickly and then draws out the ending to show us the result. The mini-series was long, and in some ways, pallid, but I felt it was a better overall telling of the great story that King wrote. It wasn't looking for the quick scare like Kubrick, but rather was looking for the long psychological effect that the book had, and it really tried to put you into Jack's place better than the Kubrick version did. Once again, you are entitled to your opinion, and this has been debated by SK fans for years. I still say Kubrick's version is a masterpiece, but when compared to the original material, I don't think it was as good.

Hi,

It should be remembered that Kubrick was at loggerheads with the studio over the lack of budget for the hedge animals and actually threated to quit over the issue at one point, I believe.

So the Kubrick film that we see is certainly not the one Kubrick would gave made had not the parasitical bean-counters prevented it, or so I've been told.

Long days and pleasant nights

The Shining without Nicholson as Jack Torrance - is not The Shining.

Attachment 10892

Attachment 10893

Look at him. He is awersome.

I just did a re-watch of Kubrick's version two nights ago. I was in my late teens when his film was released and I was so-o excited to go and see it in the theater after having read the book a year before and when I walked out of the theater I was furious! It was NOT what I expected, it was so different from the book. I felt cheated. I've seen it a few more times over the years now and can finally appreciate it for what it is- Kubrick's vision. The re-watch two nights ago really got under my skin this time, maybe it was seeing it on a flat screen tv with surround sound, but it really did make me nervous this time. There was alot of soundeffects and other noises I picked up on this time. Creepy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast