Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Texas Wants Women to Listen to Fetal Hearbeat Before Abortion

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Wants Women to Listen to Fetal Hearbeat Before Abortion

Default Texas Wants Women to Listen to Fetal Hearbeat Before Abortion

What are your thoughts?

Texas Wants Women to Listen to Fetal Hearbeat Before Abortion

Posted by JeanneSager
    Why Texas? Why?
    Do you really think women who are headed in to have an abortion are all happy-go-lucky sorts who have no idea what they're getting into?
    Because leading members of Texas' GOP are sponsoring a bill that would require women to sit through an ultrasound before an abortion, described in detail by the doctor, and (wait for it) require they listen to the fetal heartbeat. Oh, and if that's not enough, they must sit idly while a doctor lectures them with some good old-fashioned anti-abortion literature.
    According to the bill, the "pregnant woman may choose not to view the materials or avert her eyes." How sweet. If that's an option, how about just skipping the whole charade and letting women get on with it?
    Its supporters have made clear they are looking to reduce abortion numbers, but they're also being careful throw a little "we're helping to cut down on medical malpractice" spin in there.
    "I think that this bill will protect women from being at the hands of a doctor who is not performing best practices," study author Republican Sen. Dan Patrick said. But he's certainly sticking with the party line - he goes on to say, "secondly, it may change the thinking of that woman if she decides to look at that ultrasound, to hear that heart beat."
    This move is right up there with North Dakota's recent declaration that "personhood" is achieved at conception. Neither directly reverses Roe v. Wade, but they skirt the rights of a woman being trumped by that of an unborn fetus. As my colleague Kate recently pointed out, the right-to-life movement often neglects the idea that there is life AFTER birth.
    The legislators who crafted this bill have no knowledge of a woman's mental or physical health when she walks into an abortion clinic. They have no idea whether she's been raped, had a condom break, gotten pregnant the day before her husband took off. But they are cocksure that listening to the heartbeat is going to change her mind; no matter the pain it inflicts.
    Did these guys read the much-talked about Glamour piece on women who've gone through an abortion?
    "In a perfect world, no woman would ever need to end a pregnancy," Liz Welch said just last month. "But in reality, one in three women will have at least one abortion by the time she is 45, and these women run the gamut of ages, races, backgrounds and beliefs."

So Texas, just to give you an update women might not feel guilty or even wrong for doing it, but it isn't an easy choice. They don't need to hear a heartbeat or be beaten over the head with literature and a detailed ultrasound description to know that.
    Image: PatDollard.com

Default Re: Texas Wants Women to Listen to Fetal Hearbeat Before Abortion

Are they requiring that the man who impregnated them also be present? Or that if the woman then changes her mind because of all their "good work" on her and the fetus's behalf, that there will be monetary support to help raise the child either from the father, doctor, or state? And are they including a provision to make sure that no federal funds be used for this counseling?

Wow, Texas never ceases to amaze me. What a horrible experience that must be. The pregnancy by rape thing is what gets me. They have the nerve to make you listen to the heartbeat of a fetus that was forced into your uterus and say, "your going to hell if you get rid of it". Makes me sick.

Yeah and Texas wants GOD in all schools and wants to ban books the Christians don't approve of.

Had a friend (this was in Illinois in the 80's) who was forced to have an ultrasound to see her fetus before an abortion. To me THAT was unfair to her. BTW - she did it anyway and never looked back.

Wyoming is trying to do something very similar right now. It has been shot down once, and the person responsible for introducing it in the first place came back with a slightly modified version, just changed a few words. It has passed the House and forwarded to the Senate, but to the AG COMMITTEE! Rep. Lisa Shepperson says this:

"After passing the House…..HB – 251 has been passed to the Wyoming Senate and has been assigned to our Standing Committee – Agriculture, State and Public Lands and Water Resources!! Yes….our Ag Committee!! Now, we realize that sometimes bills get assigned to strange committees due to work load, etc, but that is NOT the case here. It has been assigned to this committee to try to make SURE it comes out and goes to the floor.
    Needless to say, Sue and I and quite a few other women legislators are furious! I guess maybe some of these men think we are livestock!?!?! I am a 5th generation rancher and am used to dealing with livestock and the issues with them….so it will be an interesting committee hearing for me. By the way, Sue is also a rancher….both her and I have spent our lives on issues dealing with ag. We just never dreamed we'd be in the Ag Committee dealing with this issue. We are strategizing now….trying to decide if we should show up to the Committee Meeting with our cow-bells on and mooing! The bill is tentatively scheduled to be heard on Thursday afternoon, upon adjournment."

It is plain ridiculous. Aren't there much more pressing issues for our state governments to be spending time on than something like this?

I think the politicians sponsoring this bill should have to listen too--listen to women voters and men voters who support women's rights.
    If these bozos really cared about preventing unwanted pregnancies they would be funding sex education and contraceptives--but wait, that would make too much sense. They'd rather be on their high horses and trying to assume some phony moral high ground and pretending to care about unborn children. What about children who were already born? Meanwhile if any of these politicians got their interns pregnant, they'd be shipping them off to the nearest abortion.

I'm appalled and I'm kind of shaking over this. Why is it so important for (and please, I mean no offense but I'm mad) religious fanatics to force their agenda down the throats of women who should be able to make the choice they want with their body. Why don't they care about the fully formed and self sustainable human being that they are basically torturing just to get her to make the decision THEY want her to make. Being able to choose one's life path is something that no government should get in the way of. This is a sexist practice, there is no way they can make the father be there, and in most cases like this he wouldn't be anyway.
    Like fushingfeef said, why don't they concentrate on the children already born who don't have parents and use their political might to try and make their lives better rather than encouraging mothers to give birth to a child they don't want??
    I'm at a loss.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Proper education will prevent more abortions than any of this stupid stuff will.

Wow, talk about cruel and unusual. I can't even think of this as some misguided but well-meaning effort, partly because I think making the choice for an abortion would be extremely difficult and doesn't need to be complicated, and partly because I know some vindictive "Christians" who think a little more suffering is okay for a woman who finds herself in that position. Why the hell do these people think their moral codes should trump anyone else's?

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Reader View Post
    I'm appalled and I'm kind of shaking over this. Why is it so important for (and please, I mean no offense but I'm mad) religious fanatics to force their agenda down the throats of women who should be able to make the choice they want with their body. Why don't they care about the fully formed and self sustainable human being that they are basically torturing just to get her to make the decision THEY want her to make. Being able to choose one's life path is something that no government should get in the way of. This is a sexist practice, there is no way they can make the father be there, and in most cases like this he wouldn't be anyway.
    Like fushingfeef said, why don't they concentrate on the children already born who don't have parents and use their political might to try and make their lives better rather than encouraging mothers to give birth to a child they don't want??
    I'm at a loss.
    You make an excellent point regarding children already born. This country needs to make adoption of American babies (and older kids) easier and less expensive. Why else do you see celebrities adopting kids from other countries? The rules in the US need to be eased to make it easier to adopt kids in the US. Why would I (as an American woman) want to give birth to a child knowing full well he or she will end up in the foster system most of their lives because people like Madonna, Angelina (and my sister-in-law) are adopting kids from other countries because it's easier.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast