Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
(spoiler) how old do you think roland is at the end of the seventh book and...

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (spoiler) how old do you think roland is at the end of the seventh book and...

Default (spoiler) how old do you think roland is at the end of the seventh book and...

....and in the previous books what clues does king give us to make us believe that roland may know he's completed his quest before? I'm asking for specific or paraphrased lines (or book and page numbers if it do ya well).

I'm guessing roland first got to the dark tower when he was around 35 based off what we know when Shemie's being described while he's with Ted and Dinky and they're meeting rolands new ka-tet in the cave outside of breaker village in Book VII. Whatdoyouthink?

Default Re: (spoiler) how old do you think roland is at the end of the seventh book and...

Robin Furth researched this question for the Concordance. The question had come up numerous times from fans so I had asked her if she had figured that out. She hadn't at that point but thought it was a very interesting question and after doing extensive research included a Time Line for the Dark Tower Series. By her calculations, Roland is approximately 36 when the events of The Gunslinger took place. I'd highly recommend her Concordance (that isn't intended to discourage discussion here BTW) as it may also answer many of your questions or add to information given here and she footnotes and includes volume & page references when appropriate.

Default Re: (spoiler) how old do you think roland is at the end of the seventh book and...

Excellent suggestion by MsMod. Can not ell you how many times I have referred to Robin's Concordance. It is a must read for any DT fan.

Of course the concept of "age" is relative, isn't it? After all, Roland hops from reality to reality and time to time. Remember, he spent time in Jake's, Odetta's, and Eddie's whens; he also spends time in Algul Siento, which seems a place out of time.

How long does he spend in the Tower? Can his perception of time be trusted (despite his "true minute" trick) ?

Bob said:Of course the concept of "age" is relative, isn't it? After all, Roland hops from reality to reality and time to time. Remember, he spent time in Jake's, Odetta's, and Eddie's whens; he also spends time in Algul Siento, which seems a place out of time.

How long does he spend in the Tower? Can his perception of time be trusted (despite his "true minute" trick) ?

Thats true enough Bob! Your question of the time spent in the tower itself wasnt something I had given any thought to, but it could be almost any length of time. He was reliving specific moments of his life while that eyeball is suspended outside his room! That question of time is an excellent one.How long does it take to relive specific moments of a long,long life. So much occurred in his life,thats why I refer to a long life. Perhaps a busy life mighht be better description... lots certainly happened from birth onward.

36? Yeesh, talk about an early mid-life crisis....

I read the Concordance and yes when The Gunslinger started according to Robin Furth, Roland was 36 when the Gunslinger started then at Wolves of Calla he was 336, but was 198 when the Wolves started raiding. It's confusing because 100yrs suppose to have passed when Roland was in Golgotha but when he wakes up he's aged 10 yrs. Also according to the Concordance when they enter Lud, Blaine tells then it's been 300yrs since Lud saw a gunslinger in In-Word and End World and that Roland must have disappeared for 3 centuries. So I'm assuming Roland must have been 36-37 at the end of Tower Series or 336.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolandlover View Post
    It's confusing
    Hi,

Yup, sure is.

'Time is soft'.

Long days and pleasant nights

Hi !

In my opinion, Roland is almost as ageless as Marten is.
    But if he's about 36 when his quest begins, I guess he's 36 as well when it all starts again.
    I picture him much older, though.

The interesting thing about Roland's age is how twisted it all seemed. Consider your first thought when Roland woke up at the Western Sea and saw The Man in Black's bones propped up next to him. He (and I) assumed he had somehow slepped a lifetime.

...then to discover in the last book that it was a ruse created by Walter. Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I thought that twist was terrific.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast