Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Introductions- read or skip them?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions- read or skip them?

Default Introductions- read or skip them?

Something that burns my basket is people who skip introductions??? o.0 I think they're a great seasoning for a book, start the juices flowing yadda yadda. I have so many favourite tid bits from SK intros, how he came accross the story for From a Buick 8 a personal fave. Just wondering what intos got your juices goin'?

(have to admit though, always been a little scared reading SK intros since he really does not mind giving spoilers away!)

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: Introductions- read or skip them?

I read them but not always at the start of the book. Sometimes I'm in a big hurry to get started on the book and I skip the intro (especially if it's long) and read it later.

His SS collection intro's always fascinate me.

None in particular leap out...but youdamnbetcha I read em....amazing litlle McNuggets of factoids are contained threin...

I used to skip the intros until I got hooked by one of Mr. King's (can't remember which one) and I have read every intro since then. I now feel I would miss out on something important if I did not read the intro!!

It seems sacrilegious to skip the intro of a book( to me).....Nope, can't do it! It's like leaving a part of the book unread!

The introductions are a must read. Have always felt they are part of the book and need to be absorbed.

Quote Originally Posted by larchi View Post
    (have to admit though, always been a little scared reading SK intros since he really does not mind giving spoilers away!)
    I can't think of an instance when he spoiled one of his own stories.

I always read introductions but I always skip those director's video introductions on DVDs, especially if I haven't seen the movie yet.

I hope no one skips these(or afterwards notes) because this is often the true gift He gives to his constant readers.

Putting all these together a long with his non-fiction writings paints quite an intimate portrait of the King.

Early on in life I would skip intros and prefaces and forewords, probably because what I was reading was an assignment, not a personal choice, and then out of subsequent habit. Now I consider them, in their way, part of the story, like an appetizer is part of the meal. Meanwhile, I've found patience to be not only a good thing to learn but a mandatory one. Like GNT said about the McNuggets.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast