Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
How Has Stephen King's work Touched Your Life?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Has Stephen King's work Touched Your Life?

Default How Has Stephen King's work Touched Your Life?

Carrie came out when I was in jr. high. It made me believe there was one other person who understood how I felt as an unpopular preacher's kid. It gave me hope that I'd survive my childhood. Thankful for him indeed.

Default Re: How Has Stephen King's work Touched Your Life?

I am thankful for the countless hours he's transported me to HIS worlds...and the path that led me here...

I'm thankful that he shared his story in On Writing, and that let me see more of humanness, if that's a word, which led me into being Constant Reader, where I previously hadn't read his works due to some incorrect though sincere religious beliefs about what Christians, ANY Christians, shouldn't read or watch. I'm still a conservative evangelical Bible-believing Christian, but now I'm one whose favorite author is Stephen King.
    And he's been an indirect influence since most of my Facebook activity and almost all of the Facebook friends I've added in the past year are King-related on Stephen King Central.

Well, just by reading one of his novels, he is touching your life, because I can't count the number of hours I've spent scrolling through his works.

On Writing and IT were perhaps the two books I took to heart though.

Immeasurable.

He taught me that it's perfectly ok to keep my head right up there where its always been; in the clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    I am thankful for the countless hours he's transported me to HIS worlds...and the path that led me here...
    That says so much GNTLGNT. I feel the same. His works have given me escape when I needed it, comfort during a sad time in my life, and laughter. They led me here too, and that has opened a whole world of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    That says so much GNTLGNT. I feel the same. His works have given me escape when I needed it, comfort during a sad time in my life, and laughter. They led me here too, and that has opened a whole world of friends.
    ..aye, so it has...and from one who doesn't have but a handful of close friends-it's very welcome.....

His books gave me a place to hide when I felt vulnerable, people to look up to when I felt beaten down, places to visit when I was bored. They gave me a new way to look at this universe we live in and the people in it.

And as GNTLGNT had said, also leading me here to all you foine, foine folks.

As well as an escape when I needed it, and many of the other points raised by others.....his books showed me that things really could be worse. No matter how bad things were (and sometimes they were really bad) they could have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by VultureLvr45 View Post
    Carrie came out when I was in jr. high. It made me believe there was one other person who understood how I felt as an unpopular preacher's kid. It gave me hope that I'd survive my childhood. Thankful for him indeed.
    Yes, I agree, we should thank him, indeed. Not only has Stephen King provided me with a means of wonderful escape but he has broadened my horizons. The way I write, my vocabulary, increased, at a young age. Cujo, at age 12 was my first book and since I've been a pretty steady and at times, constant reader. Stephen King's is a human acid for the mind, he expands it. I don't like to think of him as "horror" but sci-fi and also a romance novel. He shows you people, makes you care about them, then does bad things to them all the while entangling you in some far out alien experience and you believe. If Mr. King were a drug, they would sell him by the gram.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast