Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Any truth to the Dark Tower rewrite (possible spoiler)

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any truth to the Dark Tower rewrite (possible spoiler)

Icculus Guest

Default Any truth to the Dark Tower rewrite (possible spoiler)

Is it true that Mr. King plans to write himself out of The Dark Tower series in a future rewrite? I enjoyed the meta nature of those portions of the story. While they were not my favorite I thought they brought a lot to the table. Can anyone verify this or hopefully shoot it down?

Default Re: Any truth to the Dark Tower rewrite (possible spoiler)

No, it's not true.

For all the people who would like to take this moment to scream out "Thank God it isn't true!", let's save Ms M the trouble of a million posts as I say it for you . . .

THANK GOD!!

and a *happy dance*

...thank Gan, Marsha shot that sucker down like Snoopy after the Red Baron!.....

I know there are King fans out there who dislike that element of the Tower books, but personally, I would think it was an absolute tragedy if he wrote himself out in a rewrite.

I couldn't imagine a world without the Drawing of the three

Man I could not disagree more with most of you...

IMO ending a story with, ...he woke up and it was all a dream, is lame and the biggest cop-out ever, and the way the DT series ended is as close as you can get to that without actually saying it. I would love for the last 3 books to be re-written, they are just so different then the first 3, and are good, but not nearly as good. I love the series as a whole but I could have lived without King putting himself into the story, the influx of taheen, vampires, low-men, and the anti-climatic ending of the crimson king.

I hate to be the one to bring facts into an internet discussion board...

"Now he's finished the story he is trying to decide how much he can rewrite it, if he views the sequence as one very long novel. Can he do a second draft? He hopes so. Currently, Stephen King is a character in the fifth and sixth Dark Tower books, and Stephen King the non-fictional author is wondering whether to take him out on the next draft."

Interview with Stephen King by Neil Gaiman, earlier this year. You can find it here... http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2012/0...interview.html The necessary section iss just over 3/4 of the way down.

So, yeah. If you wanna listen to the man himself, there's a lot of truth to the idea of a rewrite.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    IMO ending a story with, ...he woke up and it was all a dream, is lame and the biggest cop-out ever, and the way the DT series ended is as close as you can get to that without actually saying it.
    How is the ending a cop-out? A cop-out is an action you take in order to cheat your way out of an undesired outcome; what King did in ending the series that way -- which I'm sure he knew would frustrate fans who weren't on the same wavelength as he was as far as what Roland's quest was about -- was actually far away from being a cop-out. It would have been a cop-out for him to have the idea and then NOT end the series that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinebreaker View Post
    I hate to be the one to bring facts into an internet discussion board...

"Now he's finished the story he is trying to decide how much he can rewrite it, if he views the sequence as one very long novel. Can he do a second draft? He hopes so. Currently, Stephen King is a character in the fifth and sixth Dark Tower books, and Stephen King the non-fictional author is wondering whether to take him out on the next draft."

Interview with Stephen King by Neil Gaiman, earlier this year. You can find it here... http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2012/0...interview.html The necessary section iss just over 3/4 of the way down.

So, yeah. If you wanna listen to the man himself, there's a lot of truth to the idea of a rewrite.
    Since Ms. Mod is employed by King and (presumably) talks to him on a daily basis, I'm going to assume she know what she's talking about. So if she says King is no longer considering that particular rewrite, I think you can rely on her being correct.

I'd also suggest that having your introductory sentence on this board be "I hate to be the one to bring facts into an internet discussion board..." is maybe not the best way to approach this particular community. Or any community, for that matter. It's condescending and unnecessary.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast