Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Any others like this one?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any others like this one?

Default Any others like this one?

Well I actually thought this book would have taken me a lot more time cause its a brick but I finished it in 4-5 days. It really kept me interested in it and I would say it deserves at least a 4/5. I was just thinking if stephen king ever did another book that was similar to this one? I mean in the way the focus didn't seem t be on the supernatural alone but mostly on the people and how they develop throughout the novel. These may be my favorite stephen king characters in any of his books so far.

Default Re: Any others like this one?

IMO all of SK's works have excellent character development but I understand what you are saying about BoB. BoB is one of my all time favorite SK novels and it gets better with each reread.

Have you tried Under the Dome? Its excellent as well!

.....you think that books a "brick"....wait till ya get a look at the unexpurgated Stand...

I honestly don't remember a whole lot about this one...I never got a chance to really concentrate on it while reading..I remember enjoying the story and really being shocked at how mature SK's writing seemed. It was really poetic..one that is very similar (at least to me) is Wizard and Glass. But you'll have to read the other DT books before that one to really get it all. But that's okay-all the DT books are great. It (W&G, that is) was written around the same time as BoB and is one of the finest romance (but don't let that scare you away!) stories I've ever read. Anothe one that was similar to BoB was Lisey's Story, albeit that one has more supernatural elements than what you may be looking for. You can't go wrong with any SK book, really...

Well I have read under the dome and understood the brick that was the uncut edition of the stand and wizard and glass. The only one mentioned that I hadn't read was lisey's story which I always see in the stores yet I never pick it up!

Lisey's Story is really worth a read (you'll probably want to read it again because some parts are like "...what????..."). I wouldn't buy the hardback at full-price since it's different than a lot of King's other works and you may not like it, but if you see it for a reasonable price, go for it!

Have to agree--Lisey's Story would be a perfect read. What you felt as a bond between the main characters of BoB you will feel in Lisey's story.

For another SK book with only a few characters, comparatively speaking, and not as much (or no) supernatural aspects, have you read Misery or Deloris Claiborne?

Lisey is the obvious flipside to BoB, but its a different kind of novel. BoB is tightly focused around a single conflict. Lisey is more of a sprawling epic fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by dsurrett View Post
    For another SK book with only a few characters, comparatively speaking, and not as much (or no) supernatural aspects, have you read Misery or Deloris Claiborne?
    Can't go wrong with 'ole Dolores or Annie Wilkes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast