Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Derry in 11/22/63

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Derry in 11/22/63

Default Derry in 11/22/63

Did anyone else feel really unsettled reading about George/ Jake in Derry?

For me it was like revisiting an old town thats full of bad memories the longer he stayed there the more unsettled I felt

I have never felt that way before reading a novel but the way SK tied it up with IT with Richie and Bev was excellent and created a fantastic athmosphere

Anyone else experience this?

Default Re: Derry in 11/22/63

...oh yeah, the written atmosphere was so heavy... I almost choked on it...to the point of even getting a heavy Lovecratian vibe from it....

Me too. But I loved it. It was like going back to visit a childhood home and finding it inhabited with very unsavory characters. IT, being my favorite book, let us know that his was a bad place but seeing it through Jake's eyes somehow let us know on another level just how bad it was.

OK, I just know I'm going to get flamed for this but I have to finally admit to my friends here on the Board that I just did not enjoy 11/22/63 fully because SK tied it into IT, which then ties it into the Dark Tower saga. There, I've said it, it's out there for you all to read now. Please be gentle with the flaming!! I was totally unprepared to have this particular book tied in with the DT books. When George/Jake travels to Derry and meets up with Richie and Bev I almost threw the book down, it upset me so much! I did like the constant banter between the three of them, but it WAS unsettleing for G/J to be there, for me, also as I kept waiting for something bad to happen to him. I guess I was expecting more focus to be on Oswald after I knew that King did so much research for this book. I will probably enjoy it more on a re-read, which I WILL do, but it won't be soon. King is still my fav author, always will be, but this book just didn't really do it for me this time.

[QUOTE=kingricefan;537636]OK, I just know I'm going to get flamed for this but I have to finally admit to my friends here on the Board that I just did not enjoy 11/22/63 fully because SK tied it into IT, which then ties it into the Dark Tower saga. QUOTE]

As far as I can tell (and believe me, I have spent years researching this) all books tie back to the Dark Tower somehow. Sorry to disapoint.

I loved the connection. What I did not like was

SK inserting himself in the DT, It threw the story off for me.

Oh and here ya go.... I will get it started for ya.

Just kiddin, we all have our own take on things

I spent much of that part of the story willing Jake out of there, I was convinced something bad was going to happen too I've said it before, I know SK's imagination is second to none but how does he sleep at night?

Quote Originally Posted by EAST COASTER View Post
    I spent much of that part of the story willing Jake out of there, I was convinced something bad was going to happen too I've said it before, I know SK's imagination is second to none but how does he sleep at night?
    It's when he's in between projects and not writing that he has his nightmares. When he's writing, he's passing them along to his constant readers. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    It's when he's in between projects and not writing that he has his nightmares. When he's writing, he's passing them along to his constant readers. You're welcome.

Thankee Sai King! And if I am not mistaken, Kingricefan, there was a clue to 11/22/63 in the DT books.

a certain door they passed in the tunnels.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Yay for us!

I don't remember feeling scared about Jake being in Derry. It was fairly early on in the book, I was more scared for him towards the end. But I enjoyed seeing Bev and Richie again, and while we knew they were safe, there was still that feeling that things weren't quite right yet. I love all the little tie ins, it makes me feel like I'm in on a big secret.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast