Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dark Tower on film getting closer to green light?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark Tower on film getting closer to green light?

Default Dark Tower on film getting closer to green light?

I would post a link to the article but I am not sure that is allowed though you all can google it and find it

According to this article, ( from Deadline Hollywood) Warners is talking to Russel Crowe for the massive Dark Tower project

They are about to read the script for the Dark Tower project and a decision should come down in two weeks if not sooner If they say okey dokey to funding it, I suspect pre-production will start this Fall

That's IF they say okay

I hate to be a wet blanket here but I will again go on record saying this is all doomed to fail BECAUSE - despite our many hopes and dreams-- the studio IS looking at the bigger picture

At 8 books in length- and considering they are not as popular in sales as any number of King's singular efforts--there just isn't a big enough audience out there to support such a huge project

Especially switching formats the way they have planned..... two or three major feature films and then a two season TV series set to run in between the films????

Here's a better more practical idea......How about condense the best portions of all eight books and make a large budget three season series on AMC or HBO and be sure to only have 10 to 13 episodes per season and be doubly sure the cast and crew agree to a limited tight budget. This means that everyone will take a pay cut and THAT means it will be a more attractive project to the studio

Even better is if they can film on location in Canada or someplace

And maybe even tell the story AS one long story. Don't break it up into "chapters" that signal where in the story we are compared to the books ( like Wolves of Calle for instance) because even while it would be a good cross promotion for the books , I doubt most people watching this would run to the store the next day and buy the book.. especially when they find out there are EIGHT books in the series

And THEN the studio needs to be committed TO the series so it all gets all three seasons filmed and then let the chips fall where they may-- unless of course the ratings numbers truly signal that nobody is watching then they have no choice but to cancel

But sticking to TV and locking in a limit of three seasons is the only way for this to possibly work--

If they stick to this current plan of jumping back and forth between film and television ( more than once) I would imagine the money they need to spend for the marketing ALONE is going to be a huge amount since you have to remind the people who went to see the films that the next portion of the project is running on TV and then after that you need to remind them to go back TO the theater to see the NEXT portion of the story etc etc etc)

And you all HAVE to know by now that very very few books adapted to film or television are able to keep everything in the book- there is simply no room nor time to fully adapt EVERYTHING from this book series. So while the mainstream audience may love the project, what we dont need is for a thouand fans of the books to go online bitchin' that there were favorite parts from the book that didnt make the cut

Lets step outside the fandom box a moment

You have to seriously compare the readership numbers here Its a huge risk In fact I dare say its an ever bigger risk than Lord of the Rings ( and that was JUST three books)

But then again, Hollywood does step up now and then and takes risks.

But I personally dont see Russell Crowe committing an entire year (or more) of his life to this but hey, I could be wrong

What would be best is if they find a director and an actor who HAVE read the books or are at least somewhat familiar with the material outside the scope of Hollywood and then maybe you would have some people in there who are encouraged by the material and that will translate on the screen

And they need an unknown ( and someone who has a likeness to Eastwood) to play Roland with a good number of 'name' actors in supporting roles This way EVERYONE will be on board

But again-- this whole thing is a risk

( see while every adapted book has its own built in audience, that NEVER means that the much much much larger group of people who do not actively READ for their entertainment are aware of the book)

I hope it works of course as I too, am a Constant Reader just like you

But there are a variety of factors that have to line up for this project to fly including a commitment from several directors, a large cast- including a few "names" so that the mainstream audience will be attracted to it- as well as a dedicated crew

Even if it doesn't work, remember what Uncle Stevie always says....... the books will always be there

Any comments? Thoughts on this?

Default Re: Dark Tower on film getting closer to green light?

You made some excellent points there... If this gets the green light (big IF), I'll keep my expectations very low, that way if any of it is good, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Also, I'm not expecting much of W&G or Wolves to make the cut. They might want to stick to the main story, which is Roland and the ka-tet making their way to the Tower. I could be wrong, of course.

The lower your expectations, the more likely they will be exceeded.

As to Crowe's willingness to spend a year or more on the project? That will be defined by two things: how much money there is, and how much the project fits with his personal ideas and career plans. Peter Jackson seemed to be able to get his stars to commit to the massive production of LOTR.

All I know is at this point if I even saw a teaser trailer, I would probably explode from excitement...so yeah, my expectations are going to be high no matter what.

....so much supposition at this point...I'll reserve my expectations for when something concrete is put out there...

Warner Bros. just took a pass so it looks like the wheel of KA must keep turning.

I spoke with Steve about this this morning and he told me that there is still a lot of interest and the project is not dead. There should be further developments announced by this fall (that's in the next 2-3 months for those of you in the southern hemisphere whose seasons aren't on our time line ).

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I spoke with Steve about this this morning and he told me that there is still a lot of interest and the project is not dead. There should be further developments announced by this fall (that's in the next 2-3 months for those of you in the southern hemisphere whose seasons aren't on our time line ).
    Thanks Ms. Mod!

And what about the actor playing Roland? Will it be Russell Crowe? I hope not....

Quote Originally Posted by jones18 View Post
    Thanks Ms. Mod!

And what about the actor playing Roland? Will it be Russell Crowe? I hope not....
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you, but that's still who they're currently in talks with for the part.

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

Re: Crowe

Not my first choice.....and the truth is that I do NOT have a first choice. I don't think I want to see the damned movie. Crowe doesn't "fit" as I see it, but Hollywood can work all sorts of magic.

Let's give ol' Danny Lewis a crack at Roland, what have you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast