This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Eddie Kaspbrack and Eddie Dean

Default Eddie Kaspbrack and Eddie Dean

The death of Eds was always the most heart-breaking part of the book. Now after my 5th or 6th reading I think I finally came to term with that.

When they enter the lair of the Spider: “Eddie had drawn his aspirator. He looked like a crazed, malnourished gunslinger.”

Even though Eddie seems the most pathetic, I have the feeling he was one of the strongest. Not so hot in real life but he was the strongest in faith and the one to leap unquestioningly into battle (The way he attacked the Eye-monster like a Killer Rabbit and finally the Spider). At one point, Mike had a chance to kill Henry in the library. "In that moment he could have finished Henry; it would have been possible to plant (the letter opener...in the back of Henry's head." But Mike could not bring himself to kill Henry, yet Mike survived. Eddie killed Henry without afterthought and later died in the fight against IT. A life for a life.

Like Eddie Dean, he died a gunslinger, surrounded by his companions and his true love. I can’t think of that many other ways I’d rather go. It beats dying in the pee-stained bed of an old-folk home, with the memory of your friends long gone.

I find many parrallels between Eddie Kaspbrack and Eddie Dean. They were haunted by their mother/brother. One was addicted to heroin, the other to placebos. But while one had to fight his monkey, the other had to hold on to it to win. Dean made the key, Kaspbrak guided the way. They were both mortally wounded in battle, one at Blue Heaven and the other in a black hell.

Default Re: Eddie Kaspbrack and Eddie Dean

Nice post!

Interesting, I never thought of all the parallels there. Good analysis!

....wonderfully well-done post...thanks for some new thoughts....

Thanks! And I only had to read IT 5 times and the DT twice before seeing that similarity! This is a great forum. I never thought so much before!
    (I originally posted that in the IT thread. Not sure why it ended here).

I may be misremembering but I think you originally titled the thread Eddie Dean Eulogy. Considering the recent flap over spoilers in thread titles I'd changed yours and since it had originally been Eddie Dean, that's why I put it in the Dark Tower area. I can move it to the IT thread if you prefer.

That gave me good goosebumps. Nice post.

Great post! But you made my brain hurt... I don't like to think that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I may be misremembering but I think you originally titled the thread Eddie Dean Eulogy. Considering the recent flap over spoilers in thread titles I'd changed yours and since it had originally been Eddie Dean, that's why I put it in the Dark Tower area. I can move it to the IT thread if you prefer.
    I thought I just called It Eddie’s Eulogy, but maybe it was my mistake. It's not a big deal but you can move it if it’s not too much trouble.

Thanks!

A little late with the kudos, I know, but I just wanted to say that that's an excellent analysis... spot-on!