Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The Shawshank Redemption and SAW

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Shawshank Redemption and SAW

Default The Shawshank Redemption and SAW

Here is an excerpt from my message board presently under construction...

A couple of days ago I watched the film SAW released by Lions Gate Films and Twisted Pictures. Although my name is not Leigh Whannell or James Wan who are the writers and director, it does have an Ayko style to it.

The film is excellent and not that bloody. Much of the horror stems from the sarcastic humor mixed with the terror of isolation while being tormented by an unknown punisher of crimes who is represented by a sinister looking puppet on a tricycle. I have the DVD Director's Cut version and still the film has very little blood and very few shock moments of fright. The German DVD is FSK 18 (Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft or Voluntary Self-control of the Film Industry) which is supposed to be a warning to parents, as if any parents pay much attention to the rating system while teens search and search for the FSK 18 version instead of FSK 16, 12, or whatever. I doubt there is even much difference.

This night I watched Shawshank Redemption, released by Warner Bros and Castle Rock Entertainment, and based on the Stephen King novel, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. Another excellent film, but that film has a FSK 12 rating although the psychological horror is just as present and includes one scene of murder and one brutal scene of suicide.

I believe the point I am making is clear. Shawshank Redemption is more horrific than SAW. The former is very realistic and perhaps even based on a true story. SAW delivers a message of what could be, but no puppet named Jigsaw is going to ride his tricycle terrorizing white collar and blue collar criminals. That is the department of Stix and his Devil Phantoms.

Default Re: The Shawshank Redemption and SAW

Totally disagree that "Shawshank Redemption is more horrific than SAW." These movies are most definitely rated appropriately when it comes to adult content and themes that children should not be exposed to.

I can watch anything "horrific" but many of the scenes in the SAW franchise are gross purely for the sake of being repulsive, and not to benefit any storyline. I would--and have--quite happily allowed my younger nieces and nephews to be in the room whilst Shawshank is playing, but they would never be exposed to SAW in my presence.

....I've always felt true evil was more soul-killing than ANY cinematic attempt at such....a few cheap-jack thrills as opposed to the sanctity of one's immortal soul?-no competition....

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Totally disagree that "Shawshank Redemption is more horrific than SAW." These movies are most definitely rated appropriately when it comes to adult content and themes that children should not be exposed to.

I can watch anything "horrific" but many of the scenes in the SAW franchise are gross purely for the sake of being repulsive, and not to benefit any storyline. I would--and have--quite happily allowed my younger nieces and nephews to be in the room whilst Shawshank is playing, but they would never be exposed to SAW in my presence.
    SAW is not gross or repulsive. The horror is mostly psychological. As I stated in my first message of this thread the realism of The Shawshank Redemption makes the film impact the human psyche much deeper. That is one reason why The Shawshank Redemption is a better film. However, that does not make SAW repulsive and gross. The scene with the corpse lying in blood is not that gross. The blood does not even look real. The Danny Glover character gets his throat slit but, that scene was not very gory either and since he comes back later with a healed throat, the realism fades again as compared to The Shawshank Redemption with the Warden blowing his brains apart. It is the realism of that scene and the story that impacts on the subconscious much more than SAW. The Shawshank Redemption does it tastefully and responsibly though. That is why I disagree with the FSK 12 rating in Germany. I do not think the film is for twelve or thirteen year olds.

By the way...do you not think that it would be better to watch SAW with your younger nieces and nephews while you are present rather than them watching it with their friends in your absence?

I agree with Ally. I've allowed my 11-year old to watch Shawshank several times. However, she is too young to be exposed to the gore fest style of SAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayko View Post
    SAW is not gross or repulsive.
    That is your opinion, and you're welcome to it. I feel differently, which is my choice. And no, I do not feel it is better to personally expose my nieces and nephews to SAW. You do not know anything about them or me, so please do not presume to know what's the best thing to do for their benefit. Not all kids want to watch gore or violence, and I know without a doubt these type of movies hold no interest for them.

Shawshank Redemption is one of my all-time favourite films, and a favourite story too, and is as much about the indomitable human spirit as it is about violence and death. I do not think you can compare it to SAW, it's horror is more subtle. I did like SAW too but only for what it is, a gory shock/horror flick.

I was making a statement about the FSK rating system and how meaningless it is, in my opinion. East Coaster is right that the two films are so different they cannot really be compared in their own rites. But you are all swaying from my point. That's okay though, forget it.

No one can beat Shawshank Redemption whether in movie or in novel. Lol

You got to be kidding me. Take this to the stupidest statement thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast