Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dark Thursday Really

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Thursday Really

Default Dark Thursday Really

I seen on television that local stores are calling there Thanksgiving sales Dark Thursday. Early Friday seens to be quite enough. LOL What do you all think about this.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: Dark Thursday Really

If I had a retail chain, I would open on Friday morning at 8:00am. I'd be the only one doing it.

I feel bad for the employees of the stores that are opening on Thursday. I think Thanksgiving is to be spent with the family or friends and of course that is what the big CEOs will be doing.

Capitalism run amuck. :-(

I'd say those employers graduated from the Gordon Gekko Business School of Bastards. Even though private employers cannot be required to observe federal holidays, there's a mean-spirited quality to those who schedule their employees to work on those days.

The employee who allows himself/herself to be treated like Bob Cratchett is the other half of the equation. They set standards of working conditions tolerance that validate a greedy employer's decision to keep their place of business open on a federal holiday. Hey, it's a co-dependent relationship with the best of dysfunctional qualities in operation!

I just found it hard to believe they have named this day . Trying to dis regard Thanksgiving with this crap.

The employee who allows himself/herself to be treated like Bob Cratchett is the other half of the equation. They set standards of working conditions tolerance that validate a greedy employer's decision to keep their place of business open on a federal holiday. Hey, it's a co-dependent relationship with the best of dysfunctional qualities in operation!
    But Lily, in this economy the employee really has no power, unless you're talking about a union shop. And even then, employers have an awful lot of control over things like hours. So long as there are people who desperately need a paycheck, what's an employee to do?

I think the real other half of the equation here is the consumer. If the vast majority of people were willing to say "Hell, no, it's Thanksgiving, people shouldn't be forced to work so I'm not going to go buy anything," stores wouldn't open to begin with. This sort of insanity is created by consumer demand.

I personally refuse to go shopping on Thanksgiving or Black Friday, and I don't care what the store is offering at an insanely low price. There isn't anything I need that bad. I plan to stay home and work on some small gourd ornaments for friends instead. This is something that anyone can do... whether you make art or crafts of some kind, bake, make a mean chocolate sauce, brew a wicked beer, whatever - I'm of the opinion that the very best gifts are those that give us some little piece of the giver.

If you don't have time for any of this sort of thing, please consider buying handmade items, preferably from a local artist or someone you know!

"One pixel can change everything."

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    Thank you, Giant! You get my award for 1st gut-buster of the day!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast