This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Death Sentence...

Default Death Sentence...

Default Re: Death Sentence...

I'm guessing Salman Rushdie can empathize.

Who is blonde,female and living in the south of France? Salman Rushdie.

Yes, bit extreme. Although as for his jail time ... that guy was not supposed to be on the Internet at all. How did he not think that wasn't going to come home to roost? Dumb. Probation violations happen all the time, I'm sure, but that was just asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Who is blonde,female and living in the south of France? Salman Rushdie.

I can't comment about his probation violations because I simply do not have enough information and all the facts pertaining to the conditions of his probation. I do think however he is a scapegoat for the unrest the film caused and his arrest is mostly to placate the radical, Islamists.
    I find it a borderline paradox that one can put Jesus in a jar of urine and it's OK but simply wink at you know who and half of a country runs around foaming at the mouth.

no, it is not at all extreme...

at least, not from the p.o.v. of just about any sort of totally demented, evil, scum sucking religious bigots...

hey, folks who think as bakazwerds as these brave souls just shot a little girl on a school bus a few weeks back, remember ??!!

c'mon...you expected sanity and realism ??

any religion that seeks to curtail thought against it is simply not a religion worth believing in to begin with...muslim or christian, buddhist or giant spaghetti monsterian

shows a complete utter failing of thier own belief that it cannot sustain a critical thought...even gutter level thought...never mind a cogent, diverse p.o.v.

It makes me wonder.... if the shoe were on the other foot... if some nutjob Muslim who does not represent the majority of his faith were to make a film depicting Jesus in such a way... I just wonder how many extremist Christians would be screaming for his head on a platter? With folks like Mr. Jones (who likes to burn Korans) and his ilk, I am certain we would hear such rhetoric.

Like most unevolved persons, these Muslims who issued a fatwa against someone who basically said something they didn't like, are behaving like toddlers throwing a tantrum. Trouble is, there are those who would indulge it. I pray for the day that people can hold their own beliefs and not be so bothered if someone else doesn't agree. It's a childish and immature trait of humanity that we need to work on eliminating.

well...these nutjobs set about destroying some ancient statues a few years back, because they were not of islam...can't remember where...somewhere in afghanistan, i think, when the taliban first took over ?

and many of them have no problem killing people who choose to leave islam for another religion

a tantrum is one thing...until people start dying

...'course...is any of this that much different than the 'honor' killings throughout other societies/religions...

you're quite right tery...but is education alone (the current tool of the moment) really doing a good enough job at this point...