This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: stand alone book or not?

Default stand alone book or not?

im very slowly collecting the DT books when i manage to snag a copy here and there. so far i have only got the gunslinger and i just got hold of wind through the keyhole.
    im finding lots of conflicting info about where this book is placed in the series sequence. some say it can be a stand alone book but then i find other info that places it in various reading sequences.
    i dont know which is right anymore. can anyone advise please? im into keeping the entire library of king books and i do like to keep series in numerical order. i dont wish to start reading the dt books untill i have got the first few in order first (and i cant get them from my library anyway)

Default Re: stand alone book or not?

It could be read as a stand-alone but there is a spoiler that might make it better to wait until you've read Wizard & Glass. That's why it's been called (by Steve) DT 4.5.

Freemansburg PA, sort of near Philadelphia

The story stands alone quite nicely, I'd say, but I would strongly urge you to read them in the order they were released. Without having read the others I'm sure I would have enjoyed the book, but knowing what I did made it infinitely more enjoyable! Enjoy the ride, it'll be fun whichever way you go!

The first time I would recommend reading them in the order written.

And then you can go back and read them in chronological order as I plan to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    It could be read as a stand-alone but there is a spoiler that might make it better to wait until you've read Wizard & Glass. That's why it's been called (by Steve) DT 4.5.

thankyou ms mod. i knew it had a place in the numerical order of the dt series, but i wasnt sure where i was to be placed as ive had a few conflicting bits of info on its place in the series.

book 4.5 it will be then. it will be a while before i get the read them as steven kinbg books seem to have become uncommon to find where i live. but im working on it. only about 18 more to find for my collection.

...read it as part of the whole...in order, if you're just entering that magical world...

IMO, read the seven original DT books and read TWTTK afterward.

I read it as a stand alone book before I began my DT journey. It does work and sent on my way to my first DT journey.

I just ordered TWTTKH from Amazon, and it's on the way now, and I am looking forward to it. But I havent read it yet... Ill say this though...

Prior to reading the DT series over the Spring and Summer of this year, I had no desire whatsoever to read TWTTKH. However, now.. after having read the DT series, I also felt compelled to read Eyes of the Dragon, which I had had no interest in reading prior to the DT series.

Just finished this, bought it Friday of last week, picked it up Wednesday evening, and finished it last night. Really really enjoyed it, and once again, makes me want to go back and read the whole series again.... :-)