This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Trees - Real or Artificial?

Default Christmas Trees - Real or Artificial?

This year I plan to buy a tree from the local Scouts and Beavers. We have a big 7 1/2 foot tree in the basement but I do not feel like putting it together this year. It's a big job and usually my husband does that part and then I decorate it, but he is way up North and does not come home until December 21st. Any thoughts on this (i.e. real vs. fake)? I know - calling it fake sounds like I favour the real ones but actually I do enjoy the fresh smell of a real tree plus I think they just collect them after Christmas and the city puts them through a wood chipper. Not sure where they use these wood chips, but at least the trees don't decompose in a landfill site

Default Re: Christmas Trees - Real or Artificial?

I prefer a live tree, but sometimes I can't afford one. I most often use an artificial one, and buy a few evergreen scented candles to burn.
    Our town also collects the trees after the holidays and chips them into mulch, which is used in community landscaping.

We always use an artificial tree. I do love the smell and atmosphere of a real tree, but hate the idea that it had to be cut down.

Always buy ours from local growers and it is well worth it. Nothing like the smell of a real tree and now that the cats are grown and the dog is no longer a pup we can breathe a little easier..................I hope

Hey Out of Order - that's something else I forgot - my cats like hiding under the tree. I better get a big bushy one so they'll feel safe under there.

Love a real tree, but with critters it has become impossible. Small table top artificial is used each year now. I do go to the woods out back and cut some low branches from the pines to make the house smell wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    Hey Out of Order - that's something else I forgot - my cats like hiding under the tree. I better get a big bushy one so they'll feel safe under there.
    Ours do as well! We bought it yesterday morning as soon as the ice and snow had melted off the roadways and we barely had the tree through the door before the cats had taken up residence....LOL

We learned our lesson with a few broken ornaments over the years from the cats batting at them and the dog's tail to only put the non-breakable ones at the
    bottom of the tree. Fortunately, we have never had a cat climb the tree to get a better view.....

I wanted to get a real tree once, but finding a good strong stand for it was difficult and expensive.

We have a beautiful artificial. We no longer use the boxes and boxes of decorations we collected and made over the last thirty years. this tree only gets birds and a squirrel.

We have an artificial tree. We just put ours up over the weekend. My cats love to lay under it, they hardly move from there the whole time it is up. Usually they try to knock ornaments off, too, but so far this year, they have been content to just lay under it. And Dusty, our dog, must think he's missing out on something, because he has been joining them.

I use to have a real tree, but this year I have decide to buy a artificial tree. Because I have doggies and
    it's easier with a artificial.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast