This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Actor demo reels

Default Actor demo reels

Hello, I am an actor who appears in a Dollar Baby short. I hope to be able to add a minute or so from my footage to my reel. Since casting directors only use online casting websites for viewing actor demo reels my footage is only useful to my career if it is included in my online reels. I understand you allow film makers to post two minutes or less online. Is your policy the same for actors?

Default Re: Actor demo reels

Only the person who has signed the contract can use the film itself to promote their work. You could cite it on your filmography but you can't use film clips from the dollar baby film.

I appreciate your speedy reply. I will, of course, honor the rules. A suggestion for the future, if I may: Make it mandatory that your film makers show documentation of this rule to actors PRIOR to casting so actors understand their footage and efforts will NOT help to showcase their talents. Many of us would still perform just for the experience but in most, if not all cases, actors' "compensation" for acting in a student film is getting footage for their demo reels that they can present to casting directors and producers -- in whatever media format is relevant in the business -- for future work. Since physical reels are, for all practical purposes, obsolete, I feel "seduced and abandoned" by not being told beforehand that this rule existed. It feels punitive and unfair to actors and crew that only the film maker benefits professionally from this program.

...Actress 7?...is she the one who gets killed off first in the landing party?...

Perhaps one should do some research before accepting said acting role in a purposed film? Just a suggestion. I don't believe King is resposible for every little nut-and-bolt that goes into each and every contract that a film company provides to their actors and/or crew of each and every film that is produced from his written works. Am I wrong here, Marsha? Not trying to be mean here to the OP, just pointing out something.

wearing a red shirt ?

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    Perhaps one should do some research before accepting said acting role in a purposed film? Just a suggestion. I don't believe King is resposible for every little nut-and-bolt that goes into each and every contract that a film company provides to their actors and/or crew of each and every film that is produced from his written works. Am I wrong here, Marsha? Not trying to be mean here to the OP, just pointing out something.

A commercial film project, more so, but not for a dollar baby contract, for sure. We have a pretty basic contract that is intended to be between Stephen and the filmmaker for the purpose of that person having a product reel to further his/her career.

Which I had some acting talents.