This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Connections, Connections!

Default Connections, Connections!

I've been reading lots of posts lately from foloks who notice connections of DT to almost every other Sk book.....
    Now, I'm not knocking that at all. I like reading about the obvious connections as well as the theories.
    But I wonder......am I the only person who just reads without looking for these connections? Is there something wrong with my brain because I'm reading story after story, and not stopping and having an "Ah-Ha! moment" or even thinking about whether the story intertwines with DT or not?
    Am I alone in thinking that Uncle Stevie didn't actually set out to connect everything he's ever written to DT?

Default Re: Connections, Connections!

Nope, yer not alone chickee, I feel the same way.

Some of the connections people post are the most tenuous of possible links that it makes me wee noggin hurt just contemplating how they manage to stretch from one tiny "thing" to something DT related.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Ya know it never even occurred to me until I joined here, well you know, outside of the obvious.
    Reckon I just thought I'd come across the occasional hidden high quality sweet & dreamy chocolate Easter egg on Christmas kinda thing, ~whoooosh~~~~ no connections...hmm, like reminders maybe, or satisfying synapses o' subconscious Stevo serendipitousnesses's...somethin like that.
    But then for whom I think is a pretty fair to midland observant minded kinda fella, me can be unbelievably ~whoooosh~~~ obtuse, sometimes.

I don't intentionally look for DT connections, they just sort of pop up off the page and give me a light bulb moment/ a reflexion back to something I read in a DT book.

Sunny, you're not the only one who tramples over all the connections while reading. I become too engrossed in the story to pay attention, and it's only when I do a re-read, usually a year or two later, that I pick up on any connections.

(Unless it's an in-your-face connection like the one Jake has with the It kids in Derry. You can't not get that if you've read It.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    I've been reading lots of posts lately from foloks who notice connections of DT to almost every other Sk book.....
    Now, I'm not knocking that at all. I like reading about the obvious connections as well as the theories.
    But I wonder......am I the only person who just reads without looking for these connections? Is there something wrong with my brain because I'm reading story after story, and not stopping and having an "Ah-Ha! moment" or even thinking about whether the story intertwines with DT or not?
    Am I alone in thinking that Uncle Stevie didn't actually set out to connect everything he's ever written to DT?
    I wonder about certain things from time to time, but I wouldn't say that I "look" for any connections. And I think that sometimes Sai King doesn't mean for stories to be connected, but that the stroies themselves go there. In so many ways, a story writes itself. Other times, though, I'm sure he connects on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    If you don't enjoy finding connections, then no one is forcing you to find them. I am certain King's books are just as enjoyable without the connection finding. However, on a personal level... I enjoy finding connections, because the Dark Tower series basically explains how the enitre SK multiverse is CONNECTED.

The Dark Tower cannonizes SK's work. All of his work is part of the same multiverse... just like DC or Marvel comics... Star Wars... Star Trek... etc.

I agree some people go a bit far in finding connections... but there are obvious connections, and I think they are fascinating. If you dont', then fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    I don't intentionally look for DT connections, they just sort of pop up off the page and give me a light bulb moment/ a reflexion back to something I read in a DT book.
    I agree with this. Most connections jump off the page at me as well. I don't have to go searching extensively for them. They usually are fairly obvious, and do cause you to experience those light bulb moments.

I do admit though... anytime I see a number in a King novel (phone number, date, birthday, interstate sign), I always see if I can add it up to 19. That's just me tho!

Yes, Sundrop.

You are the only one. Weirdo!

Just playing! I feel the same way. After reading I sometimes relate things back to the Dark Tower, but rarely during the read.

I've been reading SK since he first published Carrie in paperback and like to think I am a pretty dedicated constant reader. But unless the connections are very obvious, I never see them. And I don't think it has made my reading experiences any less because of it. In fact, I find it rather freeing not to have to analyze every line looking for a connection. I just enjoy each book for what it is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast