Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
im on book 4 for the first time, which book shoujld i read next- Book 5 or 8?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: im on book 4 for the first time, which book shoujld i read next- Book 5 or 8?

Default im on book 4 for the first time, which book shoujld i read next- Book 5 or 8?

Hi Guys, first time poster I started reading the dark tower series in 99 and reached book 4 about 8 years ago and was only about half way through. Other things in life happened and put the series on hold. Im now started book 4 from the begining again and plan on finishing the series. Now the the wind through the keyhole is out Im wondering if it would be better to read that before book 5 since it takes place between 4 and 5? will it give anything away about books 5, 6 and 7? Or is completely its own thing and would fit in just like it was made in the series? Thoughts anyone? Please no spoilers, as I have never read past the middle of book 4 thankyou

Default Re: im on book 4 for the first time, which book shoujld i read next- Book 5 or 8?

Really up to you. It won't spoil anything in the books following but could wait until you've finished those as it fills in a little of what the ka-tet did in between books 4 and 5 but doesn't progress the story of the tower itself. There would be a spoiler if you don't finish book 4, though.

Default Re: im on book 4 for the first time, which book shoujld i read next- Book 5 or 8?

Your choice as to read or wait. Since I'd already read and re read the journey many times, it felt like a family reunion. Being back with the Ka-Tet and enjoying what they shared in TWTTK. Personally, I feel can be considered a stand alone book, yet it does fit perfectly, as SK intended between books 4 and 5. Read on and enjoy the journey.

...if you're plugging along like that-read TWTTKH...then move on...

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Really up to you. It won't spoil anything in the books following but could wait until you've finished those as it fills in a little of what the ka-tet did in between books 4 and 5 but doesn't progress the story of the tower itself. There would be a spoiler if you don't finish book 4, though.
    cool, thats what i was hoping for, i think im going to read after i finish book 4 so as to get to know roland more in his youth and gain a better overall understanding of him and his personality, background etc. i think it should enrich the later books knowing him a little beeter and maybe let me appreciate the rest of the books more. off the subject but do you know if there is any further devolopment in the hbo deries/movie development since the august news of warner dropping it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    Your choice as to read or wait. Since I'd already read and re read the journey many times, it felt like a family reunion. Being back with the Ka-Tet and enjoying what they shared in TWTTK. Personally, I feel can be considered a stand alone book, yet it does fit perfectly, as SK intended between books 4 and 5. Read on and enjoy the journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...if you're plugging along like that-read TWTTKH...then move on...

@ spideyman, I think the only possible reason to not read in between 4 and 5 is kind of like you said, a family reunion. It would be nice to have something to go back and revisit the gang after the journey is over, but i think the reward of getting to know him/them? more now will serve me better in the journey as opposed to waiting for personal enjoyment......yes, no?

@gntlight....my original thought exactly.....so its basically a toss up of getting to him better as to help understand and enjoy the rest of the journey vs. being able to go back for a family reunion. since you have read these which do yyou tjhink would benefit my overall enjoyment of the series more?

also how many posts do i have to make in this forum before they will be posted automatically and i wont have to be monitored by a moderator?

Quote Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post
    cool, thats what i was hoping for, i think im going to read after i finish book 4 so as to get to know roland more in his youth and gain a better overall understanding of him and his personality, background etc. i think it should enrich the later books knowing him a little beeter and maybe let me appreciate the rest of the books more. off the subject but do you know if there is any further devolopment in the hbo deries/movie development since the august news of warner dropping it?
    At least as of the moment, the project is still moving forward but still in the pre-production phase.

also how many posts do i have to make in this forum before they will be posted automatically and i wont have to be monitored by a moderator?
    Once you have 10 posts you can join the Social Groups that are open 24/7 and are not moderated but the public side is always moderated regardless of how many posts you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    At least as of the moment, the project is still moving forward but still in the pre-production phase.

Once you have 10 posts you can join the Social Groups that are open 24/7 and are not moderated but the public side is always moderated regardless of how many posts you have.
    thankyou miss mod...i appreciate you aproving my posts so quickly....i have never belonged to a foryum where the posts where permenately moderated, but thats cool. so have they found another studio since it was dropped once again in agust from warner who is hbos sister studio or is it still in pre production like it has always been when there is no studio on board in the sense that howard is still pushing forward, still searching for a studio once again, talking to actors, working on the script with rewrites, finding ways to cut the budget, etc. - becuase if they cant find a studio none of that will matter.

@ spideyman, I think the only possible reason to not read in between 4 and 5 is kind of like you said, a family reunion. It would be nice to have something to go back and revisit the gang after the journey is over, but i think the reward of getting to know him/them? more now will serve me better in the journey as opposed to waiting for personal enjoyment......yes, no?

@gntlight....my original thought exactly.....so its basically a toss up of getting to him better as to help understand and enjoy the rest of the journey vs. being able to go back for a family reunion. since you have read these which do yyou tjhink would benefit my overall enjoyment of the series more?

Reading TWTTK after book 4 will allow you to see some new parts of Roland and get to know him a little better. In that aspect, it will help you understand a part of what makes up Roland as the man he is on journey. However, having read the books without that knowledge,it in no way detracted from the remainder of the journey. I guess one could say that TWTTK is a respite from the journey when read immediately after book 4/ or a family reunion when read after book 7.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast