Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The audiobooks: do you prefer George Guidall or Frank Muller

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The audiobooks: do you prefer George Guidall or Frank Muller

Default The audiobooks: do you prefer George Guidall or Frank Muller

I'm going through the Dark Tower series for the first time and doing so with the audiobooks. Currently I'm in the fifth book, Wolves of the Calla.
    Ii had a few months between listening to the first and second books, but since returning to the series, I've been listening nonstop on my commute and at other moments as time allows. Because of that initial gap, I don't even think I noticed a different reader for the second book when it switched from George Guidall to Frank Muller. However, I DID notice the switch from Muller back to Guidall in book five. It's a shame there isn't just one reader for the entire series.

I'd be interested to know what others think about the differences between the Guidall and Muller. And to be fair in asking such a question, I thought I'd throw in my opinion.

I believe that both readers are very talented and have great range in bringing out the personalities of the characters in the books. To me both capture Roland quite well, and in regard to that main character, I don't think I have a preference.

Overall, though, I believe that Muller has slightly more range. And in regard to Eddie and Susannah, I felt that the voices Muller created for them defined them for me. Maybe it's simply because Muller read The Drawing of the Three where we were first introduced to these two. Regardless, I miss hearing his voices for them in the book I'm currently listening to.

I'm sure this has all be discussed before. Forgive a new reader for bringing up old subjects if that's the case.

Default Re: The audiobooks: do you prefer George Guidall or Frank Muller

...Muller....

To me no one brings an audiobook to life like Frank Muller.

Freemansburg PA, sort of near Philadelphia

I like Frank Muller's ability to bring each character to life. Especially in Wizard and Glass, I don't think Mr. Guidall could have differentiated all of those characters nearly as well. But, I love the tone and cadence of George Guidall's voice, and so I really can't choose!

I enjoyed both, but Muller had a good delivery for all the characters.

I ended up reading the end of Wolves of the Calla rather than listening to it. I got to the afterword, and read the explanation for why Frank Muller didn't narrate anything after the fourth book. Then I looked him up and saw that he died in 2008. That's a shame--he was a great talent.

In looking all this up, I saw that there's also a narration of Muller for the first book--I assume the version before King revised it. I might have to try to track it down, too. I really liked his voice characterizations.

Not sure who I'd prefer. I've not yet read an audio book.......

I've not yet read an audio book.......
    ...and I haven't listened to a hardback....bazinga!....

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...and I haven't listened to a hardback....bazinga!....
    I knew you'd catch that.....

First introduction was to Muller, who swept me away with his readings. There will never be another Muller. Guidall has his own style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast