Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Finally Read it

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Finally Read it

Default Finally Read it

For Christmas my grandfather bought me a copy of "The Bachman Books" first edition with "Rage" in it. I just finished it a few days ago and all I can say is wow. This is a great story that really lets you sympathize with Charlie and to understand his pain and mistakes. I do indeed understand why this was pulled out of print but this is a great book for your average high schooler. I am one myself. This book has characters and stories that connect to teenagers and answer the age old question, am I the only one? While the psychologically disturbed teen would be inspired by the criminal actions in this book, this really is great for the one looking for a way to fit in. I feel like this book made my teenage years a whole lot better, because I know that I'm the only one who struggles.

Default Re: Finally Read it

because I know that I'm the only one who struggles.
    ...I truly hope you forgot the word "not"...

yeah...those HS days are llllloooooonnnnnnnngggg past, but rest assured, aceguy, i can remember enough to know you are not the only one...not by far

one of the secrets they don't tell you though is...we grups often struggle everyday too...as the song said 'put one foot in front of the other...'

and remember wot the python named monty said: 'always look on the bright side of life !'

'tis A great book, though...one of my faves...gramps did you a solid...read on

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I truly hope you forgot the word "not"...
    I indubitably did.

I too have just read this book and I really feel sorry for Charlie Decker.

His relationship with his abusive father (who will cut his own wife's nose with a hunting knife if he ever caught her cheating, then when he hit Charlie around the face with a belt.) comes across as the overwhelming cause of Charlie's loss of pyschological control and perhaps his failed sexual attempt with the character of Dana and his love for Carol couldof had implications to his mental state.
    It's a hard hitting novel but a brilliant read about a broken boy.

I thought I would have never been able to read Rage in print but luckily I managed to find a copy of the Bachman books omnibus which had it. I enjoyed Rage the most of all the four stories and found Charlie likable with his acid wit and sick humor. I guess Charlie's story also stood out with me because it's not his alone. This was similar with the novel Carrie, but I guess I still find myself liking Charlie's character more because despite him having his problems he doesn't retreat like Carrie does and although his actions are selfish and troubling you just can't help but feel sorry for him.