This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ... and loving it.

Smile New ... and loving it.

New to the forum, new to SK.

I have always been a keen writer and love reading good fiction. Stephen King is still new to me but that's great because there's a whole world of reading ahead of me now. I've heard unabridged readings of The Regulators and Desperation (while driving) and loved them. Tuck. Watched Dreamcatcher and am reading the book now on kindle. Enjoying it very much. Looking forward to much more.

Generally find films very frustrating because they seldom come anywhere near the books - so interested to finish Dreamcatcher and see how close it is. So far, it's not too far I think.

I came late to King because I spent much of my time with classics such as Ray Bradbury and John Wyndham (to name but two). Recently watched The Mist which I found more enjoyable than I'd expected so looking forward to reading that after Dreamcatcher. And Christine... and then .... and then .... well there's plenty to choose from.

I especially like the theme of a 'world within a world' - the creation of sub-realities in minds such as Jonesy's little office... brilliant.

Well, bored you enough - should any but the google robots be reading this. Enough said, save for the one single thing that was, perhaps required: Hello!

Default Re: New ... and loving it.

Welcome! I think you will find not only that King is a master of his craft, but also that you have stumbled upon a very cozy corner of the web here. It's run a bit differently from most forums (for example, all posts are moderated), but checking out the FAQ will be very helpful to figuring all that out. More importantly, though, this place has a very real, welcoming sense of community. I think most of us came for Stephen King but stayed for ... well. For the rest of us. Hope to see your posts and comments elsewhere on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by jajatoff View Post
    ...Tuck...
    I'm with you, sometimes I just like to say "Tuck".

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    I'm with you, sometimes I just like to say "Tuck".
    Close,but no cigar

Welcome, jajatoff. You have so much good reading ahead of you!
    My only word of advice is to read the books before watching the movies. I am a firm believer in what your mind makes up as "monsters" is so much better than what any movie can ever produce. I have yet to be as scared/awed/wowed by any movie adaptation of a SK novel as I have been from what his written word and my mind can come up with.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Welcome! More importantly, though, this place has a very real, welcoming sense of community. I think most of us came for Stephen King but stayed for ... well. For the rest of us. Hope to see your posts and comments elsewhere on the board.
    Couldn't agree more! Welcome to the board!

love reading good fiction.
    ...Get a job with the IRS, I imagine those tax returns are a hoot!...Tuck!...

I don't honestly think I've ever seen a movie better than the original book - I totally agree. In fact, one of the problems I find with modern day movies are the fantastic visual effects - most of the time, it is not what you see that is scariest, it is what you *dont* see! Books are a partnership, I believe, and that's what really makes them fly.

I'm almost finished Dreamcatcher now and although the movie was very similar in parts, I am seeing just how different (and better) the book is. It makes far more sense, is far more involving and far more complex, which is exactly what I enjoy. Once I've finished it, I'll pick my next 'en. Either Christine or Carrie I think... While I have seen both films, I am now eager to 'get the proper version'

Thanks for the welcome all, you are all quite right there too - interest attracts people to a forum but the relationships are what bring people back.

Hahaha! Just got Christine on the Kindle and started reading it

Kings thee author for me. I think you will enjoy his work. welcome to the board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast