This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deaf Twins Euthanized

Default Deaf Twins Euthanized

Default Re: Deaf Twins Euthanized

Haven't read your link because I already know about the case. Yes it could be true, and it is true, and personally I applaud their bravery. It is especially amazing that they had the love and support of their family who understood their decision, and their choice. 'Their' being the appropriate word here because it was their choice and whether other people agree with that is irrelevant. These people had already lived a fulfilling life with one disability, and to be told they would lose their other main "sense" is just cruel. People are more than capable of adapting to being deaf if they have their sight to rely on, which these men did. But to then lose your sight would be very frightening. I wouldn't want to live in a world where I couldn't see or hear anything...there would be no enjoyment in that. These men were exceptionally brave to make this choice and hopefully they are at peace now.

I wish they could have seen their way to make a different choice, but I understand why they did what they did. I just hope they were both fully committed to the choice.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

What an odd feeling, I mean I generally make it a point to admire folks with a doggedly death defying stickwithitness, butt now evidently that's become completely azzbackwards.
    While I support their decision, well after all, it just simply ain't none of my bidness, but I wouldn't go so far as to call 'em brave, 'cause this livin' stuff, it's the hard part.
    Oh sure, dyin' oft times ain't for pusses, butt the eternal Bark-O-Lounger for the sake of lack of perfection and unwelcome change, yeah that's just the lazy daisy easy peasy way out...hmm, butt then maybe I'm just a big fan of uncertainty, discomfort, & mucho misery, or as I like to call it, fine as wine livin', "livin' ", as always, bein' the dandy as candy key word, word.

This is a tough one for me. It's their choice but this is a case that differs for me in the right for assisted suicide. I can totally get behind someone who has a terminal illness and no chance for medical intervention to change the outcome, particularly when end of life would mean extreme pain, being highly medicated to the point of no quality of life, or to be on life support systems. Those people should IMO be able to make the choice to end their life sooner. I wouldn't want to be deaf and blind but there are ways to accommodate and many people live meaningful lives even with those disabilities. Think of the impact Helen Keller made even in an age when we had very little support for people with any disabilities. It's their choice, of course, but I'm sad that they chose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    This is a tough one for me. It's their choice but this is a case that differs for me in the right for assisted suicide. I can totally get behind someone who has a terminal illness and no chance for medical intervention to change the outcome, particularly when end of life would mean extreme pain, being highly medicated to the point of no quality of life, or to be on life support systems. Those people should IMO be able to make the choice to end their life sooner. I wouldn't want to be deaf and blind but there are ways to accommodate and many people live meaningful lives even with those disabilities. Think of the impact Helen Keller made even in an age when we had very little support for people with any disabilities. It's their choice, of course, but I'm sad that they chose it.
    Think of the impact Helen Keller made even in an age when we had very little support for people with any disabilities.
    I thought of Miss Keller too. I am also deeply saddened that these men gave in to despair. What of the other senses? If they could not see each other they could touch each other. Didn't Miss Keller sign into the hand of the 'listener'? The world is such a wondrous place and with so many possiblities available in this day and age, I feel there is no room for despair. Just so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    but I wouldn't go so far as to call 'em brave, 'cause this livin' stuff, it's the hard part.
    Oh sure, dyin' oft times ain't for pusses, butt the eternal Bark-O-Lounger for the sake of lack of perfection and unwelcome change, yeah that's just the lazy daisy easy peasy way out
    I don't feel they died because they wouldn't be perfect or through laziness. They were already living with being profoundly deaf, so going by that reasoning they were already far from perfect. At least with their sight they could see to maintain their own needs, work, and live an ordinary life but without their sight that would be near impossible. They wouldn't even know if somebody was approaching them, until they felt that persons touch, but even then they wouldn't be able to hear them so wouldn't know what that person wanted. Without sight and hearing the world would be a very intimidating and lonely place.

You don't feel they were brave, and I respect that, but I hope if I was ever in their situation I would be brave enough to make their choice. I have nothing but respect for them, and I find sensational headlines and news reports that don't report the full facts in these type of situations absolutely disgusting.

I hope that all medical options were looked into before they did this. Which I'm sure they did. Cochlear implants, cornea transplants etc.etc... I really think the medical community is on the threshold of reversing some of these things, but I understand their decision.

I read Helen Keller's biography and this woman was amazing. And Miss Sullivan was the epitome of teacher and friend. But, unlike these two, Helen became deaf and blind at a very early stage in her development. This was her world from the get go. And she was a frightened, angry child. These guys would be fully aware of what they were missing. It would be a brain trapped in a shell (almost). Sure, they could walk and move their arms, but what would be the point? I think every person knows what they can overcome, and I think they knew themselves well enough to know that this would be a life they could not enjoy living.

But, having said all that, they didn't even wait around to try to make a new life. They could have tried. People are adaptable. Given a little time, they may have decided it wasn't so bad. I still support their choice those because it was theirs to make.

Personally, I couldn't imagine being trapped with my own thoughts--I would die of boredom in 3 and a half days.

I agree with Ally on this one.

My opinion is that if someone wants to take their own life I think they should able to, but only after talking to doctors, family members, and really thinking about it. I'm not sure why it's a requirement that anyone should live. While it's not a decision I would make in this case, it's their lives. If they've thought it all out and that's the decision they want to make, why should we force them to live?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast