This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed

Default Disappointed

Maybe I am more of a King horror fan, but I just finished reading all 8 volumes of the Dark Tower and while I found it very enjoyable at times, I thought a lot of it was bloated and took
    too long to get to the interesting parts....I thought the whole story was just ok and Wolves Of The Calla was a pretty good section but Song Of Susannah and other parts just seemed to go on about nothing and were hard to get through....

Default Re: Disappointed

Okay. I can't jump on this bandwagon because I *ahem* haven't read the Tower series in its entirety.

-That said, I *will* say that I found The Gunslinger difficult to get through. I've been encouraged to continue reading, and I will.

I'm thinking that when I pick up the Tower series again, I'll re-read The Gunslinger so that I'm flush with the entire experience and have a second perspective on it.
    Maybe that will be your experience as well if you decide to re-read the series.

Quote Originally Posted by TEDG65 View Post
    Maybe I am more of a King horror fan, but I just finished reading all 8 volumes of the Dark Tower and while I found it very enjoyable at times, I thought a lot of it was bloated and took
    too long to get to the interesting parts....I thought the whole story was just ok and Wolves Of The Calla was a pretty good section but Song Of Susannah and other parts just seemed to go on about nothing and were hard to get through....
    There are different types of sK works and different types of fans (and the DT series is definitely different). I know that an artist who isn't appealing to someone today can be appealing tomorrow. Maybe you can take the adventure again someday and like it better.

I don't know if I'll ever revisit, I started listening to the audio versions just before Summer and I just finished Wind Through The Keyhole yesterday........it was a loooong haul...

I don't know if I'll ever revisit, I started listening to the audio versions just before Summer and I just finished Wind Through The Keyhole yesterday........it was a loooong haul...
    I'd be interested to know if you read all of them back to back. That could be why you are thinking it was "a loooong haul." I read them as they came out over the years and love them because I had time in between to digest each one. By the time the next volume came out, I was champing at the bit to read it. Just a thought.

I notice it lists you as a "Junior Member," which I assume means you are fairly young (or at least younger than me by a good span). Come back and read them again in ten years. Whenever I hear someone say something like, "it took too long to get to the good parts" I cringe just a little bit because I can usually guess what you mean by the good parts. My reaction, for example, is entirely the opposite of yours. I thought the books were entirely too short. That is, by the way, Tolkien's critique of his own work too. I'm not saying (by any means) that you are too young to understand the books. I'm saying you are too young to appreciate them.

Yes, I "listened" to them back to back, as I thought if I waited between each, I'd forget the parts in previous books....plus I'm going through every King novel 'til I get to Carrie.....so far so good....the only downers out of all I've digested so far were "Faithful" (found it boring and the dialog corny even though I am a huge Red Sox fan) and Colorado Kid (not much to the story)...

Yes, I "listened" to them back to back, as I thought if I waited between each, I'd forget the parts in previous books....plus I'm going through every King novel 'til I get to Carrie.....so far so good....the only downers out of all I've digested so far were "Faithful" (found it boring and the dialog corny even though I am a huge Red Sox fan) and Colorado Kid (not much to the story)...
    One other thing to consider is that if you are listening to the SK canon in a backwards chronological order, the true worth of the DT series will be missing something, since you have not yet listened to books in which there are characters, places and events alluded to throughout the DT series. Example:

Father Callahan.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    I notice it lists you as a "Junior Member," which I assume means you are fairly young (or at least younger than me by a good span). Come back and read them again in ten years. Whenever I hear someone say something like, "it took too long to get to the good parts" I cringe just a little bit because I can usually guess what you mean by the good parts. My reaction, for example, is entirely the opposite of yours. I thought the books were entirely too short. That is, by the way, Tolkien's critique of his own work too. I'm not saying (by any means) that you are too young to understand the books. I'm saying you are too young to appreciate them.
    Sorry if someone else pointed this out, Robert Gray but member status reflects the number of posts that that was made by the member. That said we sure have a lot of "Senior Members" here! Poor GNT is "Uber" what's that mean?

You can delete, Marsha if you or anyone else said what I said.

...ahhh, s'ok if you don't care for them and some of the others...not all are to everyone's taste...I WILL give you credit for not coming in, taking a dump on them-and then fleeing back under your bridge...you coulda been a troll, but chose to explain your convictions and reasoning...thanks for that...and do, give the DT series another go IN PRINT sometime....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast