Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The King and I? "New"

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: The King and I? "New"

Red face The King and I? "New"

Hi there fellow Stephen King fans!
    I've been a fan of Stephen King's for a very long time now, and I just realized today that he has an official website! How cool!
    I actually found this site trying to look for a way to contact the King himself, unfortunately to no luck whatsoever. You see, I would LOVE to be a novelist. My predicament: I don't know how. I don't even know how to BEGIN to write a novel, and I figured, since the King has written so many, he could give a newcomer some advice? Maybe if I'm lucky enough, the King himself will look on this thread of mine, and give me some advice! For some reason... I doubt he will... I mean, he has a busy life! He has to attend to his own business, write novels for us to love and read, AND still have time to show that he loves his family! What makes a newbie like me think he will take time from his busy schedule just to motivate a girl he doesn't even know? But, you never know, and it's never hurt me to keep my hopes high!

I hope this wasn't too long of a post for a newcomer, but I also hope you enjoyed reading it! If you have any tips yourself on how to write a novel/how to BEGIN to write a novel, please let me know! I desperately want to share my ideas with the world!

Your future friend (hopefully!),
    Cinniemonn (Kayla)

Default Re: The King and I? "New"

He's done this through the publication of his book, On Writing A Memoir of the Craft. I'm sure many of the questions you might have would be answered by reading the book.

Best of luck with your writing aspirations!

I just realized today that he has an official website!
    ...HE DOES?????........so when the hell was somebody gonna clue ME in???....

Quote Originally Posted by Cinniemonn View Post
    Hi there fellow Stephen King fans!
    I don't even know how to BEGIN to write a novel, and I figured, since the King has written so many, he could give a newcomer some advice?
    Yes, without a doubt, On Writing should be the next thing you read.

I've never tried -- not seriously, at least -- to write a novel, but I've written enough to know exactly how to do it: you just write it. Start with an idea, then come up with a plot, and then develop that plot a little every day it is humanly possible to do so. Most important: don't give up. Just keep going, and if it doesn't work, then revise it once you've finished.

Also, you should read a lot. If you do that, then you will develop a strong sense of what works and what doesn't, at least as it pertains to your own personal sense of aesthetics. Then, as you are writing, you'll probably find yourself trying to replicate those aesthetics. You won't even think about it; you'll just do it.

Or you won't. Being a writer is not for everyone. Odds are, if it's for YOU, you'll know it.

"On Writing" had some good thoughts on writing, and insight to Mr. King's writing. I believe the social groups forum has writing groups, you may want to try reading those as well. I haven't tried my hand at writing for decades (since high school). If I stay on this board very long I have to try, just to see if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    Okay so this is sort of completely unrelated but - I was digging around in the sand under the water during our recent vacation/wedding of my son in the Mayan Riviera when what did I pull out of the Caribbean Sea but a (wait for it) -

hash pipe!
    . How cool is that? and I don't even smoke the stuff It had a cattle skull on it - the kind of white bleached bones type of cattle skull. That was freaky. Nothing better than a free souvenir given up by the sea!

Thank you, Ms. Mod! I haven't been to my bookstore lately, so I didn't know he had a book out on it! Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    Okay so this is sort of completely unrelated but - I was digging around in the sand under the water during our recent vacation/wedding of my son in the Mayan Riviera when what did I pull out of the Caribbean Sea but a (wait for it) -

hash pipe!
    . How cool is that? and I don't even smoke the stuff It had a cattle skull on it - the kind of white bleached bones type of cattle skull. That was freaky. Nothing better than a free souvenir given up by the sea!
    ...no time like the present to get mellow then!....

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    Seriously, GNTLGNT, I about lost it when I read your post!!!

How'd ya know that was it was, then?