Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
For what it is worth...

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For what it is worth...

Default For what it is worth...

Dear Mr. King,
    I am 38 and have been a life long "constant reader" of yours. I am one of those folks who (when actual bookstores were still around) would rush out to buy the hardback of your latest offering the day it was available. Hell, I'm one of those guys who would have bought your grocery list in hardback if you ever published it.

That ended today. Never again will I give you 1 cent of my hard earned cash after your statement about the NRA and responsibility for gun violence. I spoke up for you many times when they blamed "Rage" for school shootings. I thought it was a shame when you pulled that story out of guilt. I am sure you wrote this essay out of guilt, as well.

Just as I would never think to blame a fictional story for the deeds of an evil individual, it is just as much a folly to blame inanimate objects for those deeds. I only wish you could understand that.
    As I sit here and wonder "What should I now do with this entire bookcase of Stephen King hardbacks (and truth be told some paperbacks, as well)?", I think maybe I should give them away to charity. No, I don't want to encourage someone else to make the bad decision I made in becoming a fan. Maybe I should start a protest bon fire with them and post a photo of it on your wall. No, I can't get behind burning books for any cause.

I think I will quietly slip them into the recycling can and try to erase you, Mr. King, and your stories from my memory. I am done with you.

Default Re: For what it is worth...

You are entitled to maintain what you consider are your principles and Stephen is entitled to do the same. I sincerely wish you the best.

wow

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Ho's hums, let the blatherin's begin!

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis View Post
    Dear Mr. King,
    I am 38 and have been a life long "constant reader" of yours. I am one of those folks who (when actual bookstores were still around) would rush out to buy the hardback of your latest offering the day it was available. Hell, I'm one of those guys who would have bought your grocery list in hardback if you ever published it.

That ended today. Never again will I give you 1 cent of my hard earned cash after your statement about the NRA and responsibility for gun violence. I spoke up for you many times when they blamed "Rage" for school shootings. I thought it was a shame when you pulled that story out of guilt. I am sure you wrote this essay out of guilt, as well.

Just as I would never think to blame a fictional story for the deeds of an evil individual, it is just as much a folly to blame inanimate objects for those deeds. I only wish you could understand that.
    As I sit here and wonder "What should I now do with this entire bookcase of Stephen King hardbacks (and truth be told some paperbacks, as well)?", I think maybe I should give them away to charity. No, I don't want to encourage someone else to make the bad decision I made in becoming a fan.
    May I might make a wee suggestion...hey don't cry, see I'm from Kentucky and we gots plenty o'
    jelly

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis View Post
    Never again will I give you 1 cent of my hard earned cash after your statement about the NRA and responsibility for gun violence. I spoke up for you many times when they blamed "Rage" for school shootings. I thought it was a shame when you pulled that story out of guilt. I am sure you wrote this essay out of guilt, as well.
    Did you actually read the essay? So far I've read nothing in this post that suggests you did. Especially since King doesn't specifically blame the NRA--or in fact anybody--for anything, and he also addresses the topic of Rage very clearly and guilt was not the reason he pulled it.

If you would like to share your opinions on the essay then there's already a discussion here that you're more than welcome to join.

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/27791-Your-thoughts-about-Steve-s-essay

I guess he didn't like the essay then?

...sooo, you join up only to quit?...way to stand by your convictions!....I am underwhelmed...

For what it is worth...
    ...which isn't much.

Getting rid of books that you enjoyed (and probably would again in the future if you're into re-reads) is SUCH a smart idea when you disagree with their author about one topic.
    You're the second opiner I've read here who has thoroughly proven Mr. King's point: gun advocates have got to participate in a discussion about gun responsibility if they don't want government interference to happen. At least gun enthusiasts would have their say and put forth some concrete solutions to a problem that has spiraled out of control in the U.S.

To each his own.But really no more reading of Kings work. Everyone has their own opinions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast