This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it asking too much?

Default Is it asking too much?

I was excited to see the news of a limited edition of The Shining going on sale, but when I got to the site all the signed copies had already been sold out. This happens every single time I find out that signed copies are for sale, they are already sold out. Am I doing something wrong? How do other people get to these signed editions before me every single time?

Does anyone out there have any advice for how to get a reasonably-priced signed book by SK? Since he has not done any signing tours in or near Pittsburgh for the last 30 years (that I know of) I haven't gotten a chance to just get an autograph from him in person, which would obviously be the cheapest option. I'm not one of those people who has to snap up every copy he can get his hands on, I just would like to own one signed SK book before I die!

Any ideas or tips for reputable and reasonable book dealers would be appreciated.

Default Re: Is it asking too much?

Quite often, the notice is sent out first to those who are already customers of the publisher and we are asked to hold off until they've been given a chance to be notified. Joining their site's newsletter or member sign-up would be a first step to getting the news sooner. In the case of some limiteds, e.g. The Dark Tower series, first preference was given to those who'd already purchased a copy in the past so that they could have a complete set with the same number. This is the complaint we hear time and time again about signed editions, and limiteds in particular, and no matter how we try to accommodate to make the news get out so more people will be aware, that also means that there will be more competition.

Thanks Marsha. I'll have to do some homework next time (if there is a next time, mwuhahaha) and get on one of those mailing lists. It seems the system does make it a bit tougher for first-timers to get a signed book. I re-read my post and I might have come off as a bit whiney, as if I think just being a fan entitles me to a signed book, and I apologize for that, but man I'm getting frustrated.

At least I have my signed Joe Hill books--got them before he got too famous. Maybe I need to find a door in the back of a diner to take me back to 1958 and then I can have 10-year old Steve sign stuff for me!

...maybe this'll help Bob...feel free to print it off...

Fushing, you might try getting onto TheDarkTower.org site. Advance notice of any upcoming King works is almost always posted there well in advance of the actual date.

John

Hope you get one Bob. My dream is to attend one of Kings signings someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Joining their site's newsletter or member sign-up would be a first step to getting the news sooner.
    OMG!!!!

Taking Marsha's advice above, I signed up for several publishers' newsletters last week. Over the weekend I got an email from Cemetery Dance saying that I might want to log onto their site at 10:00 AM today. They didn't say what it would be, but I took their advice, and 3 minutes later I had a printed confirmation receipt that I had ordered the Deluxe Special Edition (signed and traycased) of Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep"!!! After 33 years of reading SK, I'm finally getting a signed book!!!

You should ALWAYS listen when Ms. Mod gives advice!

Thanks Marsha, I'm ecstatic! (If you couldn't tell by all the exclamation points!!!)

Congratulations!!! I've got a big smile on my face of pure happiness for you for finally getting that signed copy.

smile here, Big-Big.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    OMG!!!!

Taking Marsha's advice above, I signed up for several publishers' newsletters last week. Over the weekend I got an email from Cemetery Dance saying that I might want to log onto their site at 10:00 AM today. They didn't say what it would be, but I took their advice, and 3 minutes later I had a printed confirmation receipt that I had ordered the Deluxe Special Edition (signed and traycased) of Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep"!!! After 33 years of reading SK, I'm finally getting a signed book!!!

You should ALWAYS listen when Ms. Mod gives advice!

Thanks Marsha, I'm ecstatic! (If you couldn't tell by all the exclamation points!!!)
    Bob, Whoo hoo! I am so happy for you.....And how smart is our Ms.Mod!!! ( I hope to come across a signed copy at a second hand store.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast