Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Going to Duma Key, I wish, but close enough.

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Going to Duma Key, I wish, but close enough.

Default Going to Duma Key, I wish, but close enough.

So it looks as if I will be going to Venice, Florida in a few weeks, and considering how close it is to where SK envisioned Duma Key I thought wouldn't it be cool to read Duma Key while I'm there. Seriously, Venice is only about 18 miles from Sarasota and several locations are extremely close to Venice. I hope to talk the people I'm going with into checking out some of the locations and possibly drive by SK's home there to get a picture, unless of course it is a private housing edition. Ms. Mod, do you know if that is a possibility, getting a picture of his home there? Do you have any idea's of locations I could check out? I haven't read Duma Key since it first came out and don't remember much.

Default Re: Going to Duma Key, I wish, but close enough.

No, I really wouldn't recommend trying to take a picture of his house there. I've never been, but from what I've heard of where it is, it's not like in Bangor where you can easily be on a public street and snap a pic from the sidewalk.

I saw it in some article, I think there was a google earth photo and it looks very private with a long road leading to it.
    No, I was not snooping..

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    No, I really wouldn't recommend trying to take a picture of his house there. I've never been, but from what I've heard of where it is, it's not like in Bangor where you can easily be on a public street and snap a pic from the sidewalk.
    From what I have seen of pictures on the internet it is a monster house - gigantic and probably with lots of security all around (I guess). After hordes of people visiting the house in Maine I guess he learned something from that and hopefully finally has a bit of privacy. Can' t say that I blame the guy. It's great to have fans but do you want to wake up and see them peering in your window at you?

A few years ago I saw a Florida house for sale online that was bragging to be "next door to Stephen King", which I thought was not very discreet of them. Anyway, it looked to be a pretty upscale area so I don't think it would be a good idea to go snooping around. Besides, Perse may be lurking around!

It has been years since I traveled to Sarasota, but there are a few places mentioned in Duma Key- the Selby Library, where Freemantle gave a lecture in the story. Nearby, Palm Avenue beckons with its high-end art galleries—though the Scoto Gallery where Freemantle shows his work is a King invention—and Main Street’s boutiques and restaurants. There is even Dan's Fan City, if it is still in business. The art galleries are magnificent.

Well, that sucks, lol. At least I know that it wouldn't be a great idea. I can understand that he would want privacy and can totally respect that, that's why I wanted to ask. I can still enjoy looking for some of the real locations in the book and that will just have to be good enough.

...try to take pictures?....that's when the black SUV's, driven by guys dressed as clowns, surround you...consider yerself warned amigo...

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    ....There is even Dan's Fan City, if it is still in business. The art galleries are magnificent.
    Daniel Lee, you have to go to Dan's Fan City!

I read this and thought "You wish you were going to Duma Key?? " LOL ... I like the Keys. They're beautiful (although the mangrove swamps in the shallows stiiiiiink). BUT. If Duma Key were a real place, I am not sure I could make myself go there.