Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Randal Flagg, Stephen King and drugs?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randal Flagg, Stephen King and drugs?

Default Randal Flagg, Stephen King and drugs?

So why does "the dark man" have a problem with drugs? The guy sets himself up in sin-city Las Vegas. People appear to be partying their minds out. They drink, they smoke cigarettes, it looks like they gamble... yet Flagg crucifies people for using drugs? Is this Stephen King's politics and a slap at Reagan and the "War on Drugs" or am I missing something more important here? There seems to be a disconnect where a monster like Flagg allows cigarettes and whiskey and wild, wild women but goes all nutty over "drug users".

Default Re: Randal Flagg, Stephen King and drugs?

The Stand was first published in 1978 so, no, it was not a political message aimed at Reagan's failed War on Drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by rhomnud View Post
    So why does "the dark man" have a problem with drugs? The guy sets himself up in sin-city Las Vegas. People appear to be partying their minds out. They drink, they smoke cigarettes, it looks like they gamble... yet Flagg crucifies people for using drugs? Is this Stephen King's politics and a slap at Reagan and the "War on Drugs" or am I missing something more important here? There seems to be a disconnect where a monster like Flagg allows cigarettes and whiskey and wild, wild women but goes all nutty over "drug users".
    Oops, I Thanked this post accidentally. While I'm here, I just wish trolls would write English. I dunno about anyone else but I've read the post several times and remain bewildered as to its point.

I believe Flagg frowned upon drinking alcohol as well.

Well that leaves even more of a disconnect in my mind. Don't understand why drugs was singled out to be a capital crime in Randall's world.

Without asking Steve, I could only speculate as to why he chose that particular vice. My guess is that somewhere in Flagg's twisted way of thinking, he felt it would be more of a threat to keeping control over his followers.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    Oops, I Thanked this post accidentally. While I'm here, I just wish trolls would write English. I dunno about anyone else but I've read the post several times and remain bewildered as to its point.
    I've got to tell you blunthead - I read it over and over and over too and cannot find anything wrong with Rhomnud's question. I think it's a valid question. What would give you the idea he's a troll?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Without asking Steve, I could only speculate as to why he chose that particular vice. My guess is that somewhere in Flagg's twisted way of thinking, he felt it would be more of a threat to keeping control over his followers.
    ...exactly!....the drugs would cause a "disconnect" in his control....and WHY does every damn thing have to have a political agenda in certain people's minds???...sometimes a bokk is just a book...sheesh!....

Quote Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
    I've got to tell you blunthead - I read it over and over and over too and cannot find anything wrong with Rhomnud's question. I think it's a valid question. What would give you the idea he's a troll?
    What was his question?

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    What was his question?
    And everyone wonders why this site is losing members.............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast