This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone actually met Stephen King?

Smile Has anyone actually met Stephen King?

I`m jist wondering if any members have ever met Stephen King, & what was he like?, also do any members live in Bangor, Maine, what`s it like over there?

Default Re: Has anyone actually met Stephen King?

Have worked for him for a little over 24 years. He's a genuinely nice man, good sense of humor, generous, down-to-earth, and I'm not just saying that because he authorizes the paycheck. Fortunately, Bangor is not quite as sinister as Derry even though many of the locations that are in Derry are based upon real ones in Bangor. It's grown a lot since I moved back to the area in 1984 but is still very much a small city with more of a small town vibe than a metropolitan one.

Affirmative, he is very intelligent, funny, and down to earth. Taller than I thought he would be.

I was fortunate to attend one of his talks a few years back. He is so down to earth- tee shirt, jeans and what a fantastic sense of humor. Very friendly to the people in attendance and the interviewer. Could have listened to him talk all night. Never been to Maine- that's still on my bucket list.

Marsha.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    I`m jist wondering if any members have ever met Stephen King, & what was he like?, also do any members live in Bangor, Maine, what`s it like over there?
    I've heard of him and Maine.

I'm not one to idolize celebrities nor would I ever approach someone famous if I saw them going about their business in public. It would, however, be nice to just be able to express my gratitude towards Stephen King for the untold hours of entertainment his writing (and acting. I still say his work in Creepshow carried the entire film) has given me.

I haven't yet been so fortunate, but I believe that you can get a pretty good idea of who he is by reading everything he writes, listening to interviews, etc. While it's true that people hide who they are all the time, most of us don't publish a novel a year (ish) four decades running, plus nonfiction books, short stories, graphic novels, etc. Hard to completely hide yourself with that kind of prolific output, methinks. Judging by the common thread of decency, intelligence, and gentle good humor running through most of those works, it seems to me that when he's not trying to scare the bejeebers out of us, Stephen King is a pretty good guy.

I'd love to visit Bangor, too (I do love me some road trips), but I'm thinking the Paul Bunyan statue might give me a terminal case of the creeps.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Have worked for him for a little over 24 years. He's a genuinely nice man, good sense of humor, generous, down-to-earth, and I'm not just saying that because he authorizes the paycheck.
    It's quite obvious I've not had the pleasure...well clearly he's still able to make payroll, and winnin' Teddy Bears, it ain't nearly as easy as it sounds

If I'm to believe all the ranting from disgruntled former fans who will never buy another of his books, perhaps I should be more worried about that.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast