Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
ReRead the uncut book or buy the graphic novel?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: ReRead the uncut book or buy the graphic novel?

Default ReRead the uncut book or buy the graphic novel?

I'm torn, I love the Stand and I do buy graphic novels from time to time. I'd love to own the Stand graphic novel but it's quite the money investment if it is exactly like the novel only a graphic novel. So my question is, what would be the big selling point of buying the graphic as supposed to a reread? The only reason I ask is because I'm on a limited budget, but if you guys can convience me, I'll fork out the cash.

Default Re: ReRead the uncut book or buy the graphic novel?

Actually, I am surprised at myself for not checking out The Stand's GNs yet, so I can't talk you into bustin' up yer piggy-bank for it, but thanks for the reminder to check it out.

...the graphic novel series is a wonderful compliment to the saga, and you will find some details "fleshed out" in the graphic novels...so I would say, re-read, and keep setting aside coin as you can...so by the time the re-read is concluded, you can start buying up the comics...

Quote Originally Posted by weave9 View Post
    I'm torn, I love the Stand and I do buy graphic novels from time to time. I'd love to own the Stand graphic novel but it's quite the money investment if it is exactly like the novel only a graphic novel. So my question is, what would be the big selling point of buying the graphic as supposed to a reread? The only reason I ask is because I'm on a limited budget, but if you guys can convience me, I'll fork out the cash.
    If you're on a limited budget for such things, I'd advise you to save your money. The comics were decent, but -- in my opinion -- nothing special. The art was okay, but about three out of every four character designs didn't work for me at all. Especially Flagg; I hated the way he was depicted.

The story is ... well, it's just an adaptation of the novel. Effective, but nothing you wouldn't get from just reading the book. So really, the sole selling point is the art, and for my tastes, the art is a mixed bag.

That said, it is fun to read the story in a new way, and the comics are worth having for anyone who is a major fan of the book. On a budget, though ... personally, I'd say your money could be better-spent. I suggest giving Vol. 1 of American Vampire a shot instead, and if you like it, check out the next three, 'cause you'll like them, too.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll go with the reread for now. Specail thanks to bryantburnette for reminding me about American Vampire, I forgot all about that. I'll definetly pick that up!