This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whispered words ...

Default Whispered words ...

The Mist ends with David saying he's going to whisper two words that "sound a bit alike" to his sleeping son. "One of them is hope," is the final line. Does anyone KNOW what the other word was?

Default Re: Whispered words ...

Hartford?

As in Hartford CT............

I've seen Hartford mentioned in other places, and it is the word he thinks he hears on the radio. Read in context though, it doesn't seem to fit, but maybe I'm wrong?

Perhaps Mrs. Mod can help?

From the last page of the book:

I'm going to bed now. But first I'm going to kiss my son and whisper two words in his ear. Against the dreams that may come, you know.
    Two words that sound a bit alike.
    One of them is Hartford.
    The other is hope.

This can be found in the following link"
    So, here's the skinny. In King's original novella, there are five survivors who make it out of the mist in David Drayton's car: David himself, his son Billy, Amanda, and Mrs. Reppler. They've pulled into a Howard Johnson's, and only have enough gas left to get about 90 miles. David finds a radio in the manager's office, and thinks he hears a single word in the static, although it's never revealed what that word is. Then he heads out to the lobby where his son is sleeping on a mattress, whispers "Hartford" and "Hope" in his ear, and the book ends. You don't know if they make it or not, and depending on what sort of person you are, you either imagine that they get rescued or think the bizarre mist creatures chomped them for dinner.

http://io9.com/325279/the-mists-brut...versial-ending

Thanks Mrs. Mod!

Okay, so get this: I just re-read THE MIST from its original printing in Kirby McCauley's DARK FORCES anthology and that explains my confusion!

The version of THE MIST from Stephen's SKELETON CREW does in fact end exactly as Mrs. Mod so generously shared below.

HOWEVER ...

The version of THE MIST from DARK FORCES ends as follows:

"I'm going to bed now. But first I'm going to kiss my son and whisper two words in his ear. Against the dreams that may come, you know.
    One of them is hope."

See! I'm not retarded! LoL! It was written originally slightly different. An "Hartford," in my humble opinion, doesn't sound like hope--perhaps explaining the slight edit to the original story.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    From the last page of the book:

I'm going to bed now. But first I'm going to kiss my son and whisper two words in his ear. Against the dreams that may come, you know.
    One of them is Hartford.
    The other is hope.

Hartford," in my humble opinion, doesn't sound like hope--perhaps explaining the slight edit to the original story.
    ...metaphorically it certainly does, and please do not toss around the word "retarded"...it's hurtful and offensive to many...

Quote Originally Posted by HellBoy View Post
    Thanks Mrs. Mod!

Okay, so get this: I just re-read THE MIST from its original printing in Kirby McCauley's DARK FORCES anthology and that explains my confusion!

The version of THE MIST from Stephen's SKELETON CREW does in fact end exactly as Mrs. Mod so generously shared below.

HOWEVER ...

The version of THE MIST from DARK FORCES ends as follows:

"I'm going to bed now. But first I'm going to kiss my son and whisper two words in his ear. Against the dreams that may come, you know.
    One of them is hope."

See! I'm not retarded! LoL! It was written originally slightly different. An "Hartford," in my humble opinion, doesn't sound like hope--perhaps explaining the slight edit to the original story.
    When I read the original version in Dark Forces, all those years ago, I always thought the other word that King was hinting at was either 'No' as in 'No hope' or Hope-nope.' It was a downer ending then and I'm glad he changed it in the newer version.

Agreed. I went with "no" as well. "Hartford" doesn't sound like "Hope" metaphorically or otherwise to me. Having said that, perhaps this is the debate SK was hoping to achieve with his ending, sort-of like the ending to THE EXORCIST where a person's faith dictated the ending in their mind.

Either way, I always find it interesting to see stories evolve over time and I have to believe that the slight edit on the later releases to THE MIST was simply for clarification, or a sense of closure.

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    When I read the original version in Dark Forces, all those years ago, I always thought the other word that King was hinting at was either 'No' as in 'No hope' or Hope-nope.' It was a downer ending then and I'm glad he changed it in the newer version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast