This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Topeka... creepiness

Default Topeka... creepiness

This is one of my favorite books in the DT series mainly for the Topeka references. I actually grew up (and still live) about 30miles from Topeka, so reading about the rose garden, the carousel and the train- all things I experienced in my childhood and see on a regular basis- just totally creeped me out. It amazed me how much of the geography is the same, even with some differences (the location of the interstate for example) as it was obviously not the real Topeka I know. Maybe my amazement is just because I'm from Kansas and not used to seeing local places used as a reference like many of the bigger cities (I so want to do a DT tour of NYC someday...). And I can tell you one thing- I have not and will not let any of my nieces and nephews ride the train when I take them to Gage park. It doesn't look like Charlie in person, but who knows what is lurking underneath the surface...

Default Re: Topeka... creepiness

I've never been to Topeka but I can relate a little to what you are saying. Parts of the interior of the Overlook Hotel from "The Shining" were modeled after the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite National Park-- the lobby, the lobby elevator doors, and the Great Lounge in particular. I spent a few days at the Ahwahnee a couple of years ago and every time I passed through the lobby and lounge, I got creeped out. Even though I knew the movie wasn't actually filmed there, just the visual familiarity was enough to grab me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kati33 View Post
    This is one of my favorite books in the DT series mainly for the Topeka references. I actually grew up (and still live) about 30miles from Topeka, so reading about the rose garden, the carousel and the train- all things I experienced in my childhood and see on a regular basis- just totally creeped me out. It amazed me how much of the geography is the same, even with some differences (the location of the interstate for example) as it was obviously not the real Topeka I know. Maybe my amazement is just because I'm from Kansas and not used to seeing local places used as a reference like many of the bigger cities (I so want to do a DT tour of NYC someday...). And I can tell you one thing- I have not and will not let any of my nieces and nephews ride the train when I take them to Gage park. It doesn't look like Charlie in person, but who knows what is lurking underneath the surface...
    ...he mentioned my home area in "The Talisman"...which was coolish...and have you SEEN some of "choo-choo" pics out there???...

Cool! It's one of my favorite books too. Last year we took my grandson to a carnival. They had a little train with a clown face (why, oh, why???) on the engine. My daughter really wanted him to ride it - she had to drag him on it and he cried and wanted off....even 2-year-olds know trains can be dangerous...

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...he mentioned my home area in "The Talisman"...which was coolish...and have you SEEN some of "choo-choo" pics out there???...

OMG, GNT, that is really scary!