This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was the last (non-Stephen King) book you loved?

Default What was the last (non-Stephen King) book you loved?

For me it was Watership Down as recommended to me on this forum by Vose. It was a really well thought out adventure/legend. I would never have considered reading a book about rabbits but it has definitely earned a place on my list of favourite books ever.

Default Re: What was the last (non-Stephen King) book you loved?

For me it would be The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, really great book, as well, as the movie

I LOVE Watership Down! The last non-King fiction book I read that I loved, as opposed to just liked, would have to be either Anathem by Neal Stephenson or The Story of Edgar Sawtelle (and if you look at Goodreads, you'll see that I was maybe the only person in the world to love that book). The reason I can't choose between the two is that I can't recall which one I read first. I have read some very good books that impressed me and made me think, like Blindness by Josť Saramago, and some that I just purely enjoyed, like the Jim Butcher series The Dresden Files, but in both of those cases, and some others, it stops short of love.

I love nearly everything Neil Gaiman has written.

I, too, loved Edgar Sawtelle (love that name- think about what it implies)!! One of the best debut novels to come along in quite a while. Another wonderful debut novel I read that has left a lasting impression on me was 'The Sisters From Hardscrabble Bay' by Beverly Jensen. Finished it a couple of weeks ago and I'm still wishing it hadn't ended. Alas, this book was published posthumously so I guess this will be the one and only book from this great author.

I also loved Watership Down. Richard Adams also wrote a wonderful book "Traveller"

Traveller, the favourite horse of retired Civil War general Robert E. Lee, relates the story of his life and experiences to his feline friend. His narrative, meant to begin early spring of 1866, follows the events of the war as seen through his eyes, from the time he was bought by General Lee in 1862, until Lee's death in 1870.

Lost Memory of Skin by Russell Banks. Left me with quite a few chills and pondering about our treatment of criminals and our justice system in general.

I loved Water for Elephants - wonderful book! Can't wait to go up to Baraboo (an hour away) this summer and go to the circus world museum. I've never liked circuses, I think it's cruel to keep animals that way, and well, there's the clowns....BUT this book....it's just sooooo good!

I LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris. They are so much fun to read - something is always happening. And. in many ways, I want to be Sookie Stackhouse. I also read the first 4 books of The Songs of Fire and Ice. I enjoyed them tremendously. One thing though, you have to really commit yourself - the paperbacks are over 1000 pages each. But they are filled with great characters and action. My favorite characters are Arya and Tyrion. And, of course, I have read the fabulous Harry Potter series - a few times.

'dunster' by john mortimer...reading JM is kinda like watching one of those great bill forsythe movies from back in the '80's

and i'm in the middle of a reread of george macdonald frasers wonderful 'mr american'

...the latest in the Odd Thomas series by Koontz...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast