This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Ajvide Lindqvist

Default John Ajvide Lindqvist

This author is being touted as Sweden's Stephen King. He is likely best known for his first book, "Let the Right One In", which was first made into a movie in Sweden, with the same name as the book, and then Hollywood remade it as "Let Me In." The book was excellent and both movies were good, although I preferred the Swedish version.

I am now reading his third book, "Harbor" and it is very, very good. From the Kirkus review - Lindqvist drifts squarely into Stephen King territory with his latest—which, it seems, is a bit of a roman à clef, reflecting the author’s childhood in a Stockholm housing development on the edge of the city. So it is with Domarö, an island not far from the Swedish capital where hoary old fishermen mend their nets and rough-edged yokels sharpen their knives, even as smart urbanites zip about in their fine cars and well-made clothes. One of those city slickers, a pensive fellow named Anders, suffers a terrible blow when his daughter, Maja, sees something mysterious, goes to have a look and disappears. “She was good at finding places to hide,” Anders reasons at first. “Although she could be over-excited and eager in other situations, when she was playing hide and seek she could keep quiet and still for any length of time.” Well, this is a very serious game of hide and seek indeed, for others on this island have gone missing, too—boatloads of them, with cases of schnapps as a gift to the critters that dwell in the spectral Baltic waters. Will Anders ever find his daughter?

Now, I have not read his second book, "handling the Undead", which is I understand, a zombie inspired book, copared by one reviewer to "World War Z" (soon out as a movie starring Brad Pitt). But I have placed his next novel, "Little Star" on my Amazon wish list, based on the preview chapters at the back of the book Harbor.

I'm wondering if Mr. King has read any of Lindqvist's books and what his view is on the books and the comparison to himself.

Default Re: John Ajvide Lindqvist

He may have mentioned reading him but to be honest, I don't remember so would have to ask.

I've read Let The Right One In and seen both films.The Swedish version is definitely better.Great book btw.I've got Harbour on my ever growing "to read" pile

He picked the American movie "Let Me In" as one of the best of 2010.

They both have stories in "A Book of Horrors"

Quote Originally Posted by jlessl View Post
    This author is being touted as Sweden's Stephen King. He is likely best known for his first book, "Let the Right One In", which was first made into a movie in Sweden, with the same name as the book, and then Hollywood remade it as "Let Me In." The book was excellent and both movies were good, although I preferred the Swedish version.

I am now reading his third book, "Harbor" and it is very, very good. From the Kirkus review - Lindqvist drifts squarely into Stephen King territory with his latest—which, it seems, is a bit of a roman à clef, reflecting the author’s childhood in a Stockholm housing development on the edge of the city. So it is with Domarö, an island not far from the Swedish capital where hoary old fishermen mend their nets and rough-edged yokels sharpen their knives, even as smart urbanites zip about in their fine cars and well-made clothes. One of those city slickers, a pensive fellow named Anders, suffers a terrible blow when his daughter, Maja, sees something mysterious, goes to have a look and disappears. “She was good at finding places to hide,” Anders reasons at first. “Although she could be over-excited and eager in other situations, when she was playing hide and seek she could keep quiet and still for any length of time.” Well, this is a very serious game of hide and seek indeed, for others on this island have gone missing, too—boatloads of them, with cases of schnapps as a gift to the critters that dwell in the spectral Baltic waters. Will Anders ever find his daughter?

Now, I have not read his second book, "handling the Undead", which is I understand, a zombie inspired book, copared by one reviewer to "World War Z" (soon out as a movie starring Brad Pitt). But I have placed his next novel, "Little Star" on my Amazon wish list, based on the preview chapters at the back of the book Harbor.

I'm wondering if Mr. King has read any of Lindqvist's books and what his view is on the books and the comparison to himself.
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know the film came from a book. I will definitely be looking him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    He picked the American movie "Let Me In" as one of the best of 2010.

They both have stories in "A Book of Horrors"
    ...and Mr. Lindqvist's is one of the better ones in that collection...

I've read Let The Right One In (LOVED it!!) and Handling The Undead (which I did like but wasn't as impressed as with LTROI). Will give his third book a try.

Did you ever find out Mr. King's opinion on this? I'd love to know. Thanks!

No, I haven't. He's been extremely busy and there have been too many other priorities on my list that have taken precedence when I have time to discuss business with him.

Quote Originally Posted by jlessl View Post

Thanks for the FYI! This sounds great. I've loved Wallender on PBS, the brooding Swedish detective, and I've enjoyed reading Per Wahloo & Maj Sjowall stories as well. I just saw The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest with Noomi Rapace playing Lisbeth Salander. Awesome. Those Swedes, man...they also know how to tell a story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast