This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small towns or big cities. Which are friendlier?

Default Small towns or big cities. Which are friendlier?

I have lived in both. I live in Edmonton and the pop is approx. 1.5 million and growing. I find the folks here to be the friendliest people I have ever met. Small towns, I find that the folks are nosier.

How big is the place you live? Thoughts on the differences of big and small?

Default Re: Small towns or big cities. Which are friendlier?

I've lived in LA and Greensboro, NC.

In LA my neighbors are wonderful and helpful and mind their own business.

In Greensboro, everyone knew everyone, acted friendly to your face, and then talked behind everyone's back.

In LA people aren't overtly friendly but I feel like once you meet people, for the most part they are much nicer. And as Staro says, less nosy!

I've lived in both and found friendly people in both, but I seem to find a comfort level somewhere in the 20,000 to 300,000 range populations. Too small and everyone knows you as the "new guy" and watches you for entertainment. Too big, and everyone is in a hurry to be someplace else, lots of traffic issues, etc..

I think it might be less related to the size of the city you're in and more dependent on the individual city. I'm in Kansas City, MO, and it's the friendliest city I know of. St. Louis, on the eastern side of the same state, has a really dirty, cranky vibe, in my opinion. Now, small towns ... small towns sometimes can be insular because they don't typically have to deal with a lot of diversity. So you can get that small-town mindset of "our way is the right way" and "come on in if you're one of us" that is, to me, icky.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I've lived in LA and Greensboro, NC.

In LA my neighbors are wonderful and helpful and mind their own business.

In Greensboro, everyone knew everyone, acted friendly to your face, and then talked behind everyone's back.
    I always get that vibe in the south.

I've lived in NYC, and now in a rural wooded area in FL. I like the not being closed in feel, but miss the cultural life- Museums, Broadway plays, etc. Around here- mud races on four wheelers is the big entertainment. The best part is living with nature. can't beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I always get that vibe in the south.
    I live in the south.....

Small town outside of Big City.

...I'm always the Village Idiot, no matter where I is...it's my sworn dookie....er, uh...duty...

Good and valid points overall. Yet I think another bears mentioning. That is, that the attitude and expectations one brings with them when moving to either a city or small town has a lot to do with how one perceives their new homeplace.
    That being said, I have never lived in a really big city. The places I have lived have always had less than 75,000 in population, so I really wouldn't know how it is in a big city. But I will be learning soon, as I'm moving to Atlanta, GA.
    I live in Monticello, GA now. A real wide place in the road, blink and you miss it kind of place. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast