This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: The city of Lud and its reference in the wind through the key hole.

Default The city of Lud and its reference in the wind through the key hole.

I have never written on this message board or any other for that matter I am a huge King fan and mean no disrespect by this question.
    Ok, in the begining of TWTTK Roland and the crew meet an old man named Bix. Bix asked them about Lud and susannah says "lud is dust in the wind" jake says " ashes the kind that glow in the dark".
    This sounds like nuclear death when I thought Blain said he was going to release chemical and biological gas I checked the end of Wastland and the begining of wizard and glass I found no mention of nuclear blast or meltdown. In fact Blain states that his brain is below the city or he would nuke Lud.
    If this is a mistake on mr kings part I hold no hard fealings because of all the happiness his work has brought me.
    But if some one could point me in the direction of where I'm wrong my ocd would be relaxed. Also I hope I'm wrong and have not found an error in this great work.
    BTW. I checked with my copy of the concordance by robin furth and found no resolution.
    Btw. When ever I have a problem like this I useually find the answer in the concordance and I highly recomend it to any one who is a hard core dark tower nerd such as my self.
    Thanks in advance
    Spencer

Default Re: The city of Lud and its reference in the wind through the key hole.

...Hey Spencer, set your mind at ease...just contemplate the fact that chemical/biological weapons when they explode or are released-could still "spark" fires that eventually lead to a city consuming conflagration...

It is also likely that Jake, having no real knowledge of biological or chemical weapons in his "when" simply associates all such things with the weapons of mass destruction he does know, i.e. nuclear. His comment was in the kind of banter he was likely to use.

Sounds like good ideas. Not sure about chemical or biological weapons causing a Dresden like fire storm. But its better than any of my other theories. Also Susannah saying dust in the wind could be a biblical ref. meaning death in general certainly not a Kansas the band ref. That would have been eddies line. If jakes line about ashes glowing in the dark is the only mistake in the magnum opus then the man is still batting a 1000.
    Now george lucas and the "metaclorians" thats an epic mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by justisc2 View Post
    Also Susannah saying dust in the wind could be a biblical ref. meaning death in general certainly not a Kansas the band ref. That would have been eddies line. .
    Yeah, and Kansas was after Suze's time!