Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What is Lent?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Lent?

Default What is Lent?

A short video with a simple explanation.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c4#...to.me.lent.cnn

Default Re: What is Lent?

Thanks Spidey.

I still haven't decided what I'm giving up, but I need to by the end of today. I'm swaying towards giving up chocolate, crisps and anything that can be classed as "junkie" food. I've eaten far too much crappy stuff this winter.

Is anybody else giving anything up? I quite like the idea of giving up Facebook since I have started looking in there more than I've ever done in the past...due to boredom/procrastination tactics. Evil Queen; didn't you give up social networking last year?

How Prevalent is Lent amongst various Christian groups? I've always been under the impression that it was primarily observed by Catholics and similar denominations, but I know a lot of Protestants that are keeping it too. My religion doesn't observe it, so I know almost nothing about it.

I'm giving up cussing.... hahahahaha! Just kidding. I actually considered doing that but it was a reach too far. I'm not Catholic but I practice lent because I think it's a good thing to do. I am giving up negative thinking this year. No fear or loathing allowed.

I gave up facebook in early January, and am suprised at how little I miss it, and I was on there ALOT... I decided to use the time i used to spend on there, actually TALKING to my "real life" friends, family etc etc etc. Instead of cracking funnies and posting funny pictures to get a "like" off people I was never going to see in real life, I decided to pack it in. Give it up for lent, you might be suprised...

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    I gave up facebook in early January, and am suprised at how little I miss it, and I was on there ALOT... I decided to use the time i used to spend on there, actually TALKING to my "real life" friends, family etc etc etc. Instead of cracking funnies and posting funny pictures to get a "like" off people I was never going to see in real life, I decided to pack it in. Give it up for lent, you might be suprised...
    I agree about the Facebook thing. I don't go on it much any more. Actually ever since starting to use the SKMB more frequently I find Facebook pretty insipid

I want to remember to pray more. My sister gave me a little booklet "Five Minutes with the Word"; it contains a prayer for each day of Lent.

I am not giving up anything. I use to have to give up candy as a child....wasn't easy sneaking with a nun for an aunt and a priest staying at the house on weekends. Yah hear that Father MacCillian? Ain't giving up a goldarn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia A View Post
    No fear or loathing allowed.
    Especially not in Las Vegas.

(Okay, okay okay....I'm finally showing myself out now.)

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

Hi Ally...yes, I gave up facebook and the SKMB during Lent last year. It was a great experience. I needed to get away from all that and concentrate on my family and what Lent meant to us. The first week was the hardest, for me. Everytime I passed my comp. I wanted to sit down and log into here or fb to see what was going on, as if I couldn't live without knowing..ha!ha! I also accomplished so many things around my house, it was amazing!..so much free time to get stuff done! I recommend it to anyone, see if you can realllllyyy do it, and no peeking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast